Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

stupid question...

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by LostGirl, May 17, 2010.

1. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

How can you tell a skinny dog from a lean dog?

Im a little worried that zebs leaning on the skinny side But need to keep him lean because of him showing signs of hip problems.

Ive always had dogs that side on the bigger side so always had a good bit of fat on them.

Hes still very active, doesnt seem to be hungry but does look forward to meal times. To me he does look a little bit skinny but as i say im used to "bigger" dogs

2. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

If you can see his ribs he is skinny. (obv does not apply for whippets etc Lol)
    You should be able to feel them easily though.
    x

3. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

Rusty is the same and so is Hilti. Barney was always a thin looking dog despite I over fed the amount stated, my conclusion is they are just quite active as I noticed Harry the other day and he looks quite sleek.

I'm used to it from Barney, I'm more paranoid Maya is fat because i'm not used to her size.

Via Zeb's hips, what's he doing? (so I know to watch out for Maya and Rusty incase)

edit;

Best luck is to try and get him to stand and take some photo's so people on here can see :)

4. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Thinking he prob is then I can make out two the very last ones on his rib cage, they feel like they have a ok covering.

He is around the 30kg mark and stands at 24-25in at the withers, He is very active.

He was bunny hopping when running and hes slightly stiffer on on side and that he would "kick" out every now and again, But the vet was happy it could be his age and development But just to keep an eye on it and check him out at 2-3yrs old unless he shows signs of pain (which he doesnt!) We now just give them both cod liver oil with tea time meal so hopefully it was down to growing pains and him being a bit fatter lol

[​IMG] thats a side view

5. SpringerHusky

Rusty is about 28kg, i've not height measured him but rusty is super active too.

Barney used to bunny hop for a while when he was younger, so could just be growing pains. Rusty doesn't hope but has a very confused walk, his front legs walk like a springer but his back legs like a mal and his gate is very malamuteish.

I'd say he defiantly looks underweight because of the big dip in his side, I noticed this more so when Barney was ill. Not sure quite how to put the weight on but maybe try and calm down his activities.

LostGirl likes this.
  6. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

He looks fine to me, but as the owner of sports dogs we do keep them on the lean side. He is still a young dog isn't he, has he just had a growth spirt, sometimes they can come a bit thinner than normal then, then it evens out again.

#6 Jenny Olley, May 17, 2010
    Last edited: May 17, 2010
    LostGirl likes this.
  7. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Hes 17months he seems to have gained alot of muscle the last 6week or so, I think i'll up his kibble abit more and try and get the balance right.

Bear gets slightly less then him and hes looks like hes on the chunkier side cant win lol

8. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I'd say hes lean but def not skinny x

LostGirl likes this.
  9. SpringerHusky

They are 19 months now (lol god knows how i'm keeping track), but Maya is picky with her kibble. Try mixing things into it I try tuna, chicken, mince etc they tend to eat it better and mixing an egg or two is always fun.

Here's Rusty;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He's quite sleek as he's very active and has allot more muscle :) i'd just say he's an very happy active boy by the sounds of things.

10. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

We have been looking at the mince Which hopefully one of the suppliers here can get in for us they are looking into it for us at the moment. We are naughty and they do get left overs of home cooked meals (shepards pie/roast e.t.c)

I think with him being so active he might just need a little more, he does get over the guide line for his weight anyway i guess he's just burning it off quicker.

Thanks everyone :thumbup:

11. SpringerHusky

Mine do too, both guilty of it :lol:

There's some working dog mince Big H sell. There's some great mince about, if not supermarket is always a good source ;)

Yeah, now it's warmer he's gonna be more active so it's understandable :) atleast it's just from being over active and not lack of food :thumbup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice