Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Stuff you FORGOT about your childhood!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by classixuk, May 23, 2010.

1. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

Yep, seems a strange thread to make, but I'm hoping others will join in to take us for a trip down nostalgia lane. Even the teenagers here should be able to contribute, as the thread doesn't depend on you being eligible for a free bus-pass. ;)

I was reading another thread about children of the 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's...and it mentioned loads of great things. But what about the stuff we have forgotten?

Picture yourself...8 years old, looking around each room in your house/your nan's house etc. Compare it today. Tell us what you had forgotten.

:)

I forgot that:

Kettles never used to switch themselves off when they boiled - they were round metal things with wooden handles and a big red switch. When it boiled, you turned off the red switch and hoped you didn't touch the outside of the kettle in the process.

Even if you could afford a computer in the 80's, didn't mean you got a colour monitor - My brother got a Commodore 64 for Xmas one year in the early 80s. It sat there proud as punch in his room. We used to play Snoopy and Bomber together. But it was on the old Black and White TV set. We only had one colour TV in the house by that point - a small white Ferguson portable TV in the living room, and he had our old one in his bedroom.

Egg boxes were used for insulation rather than thrown away
    - In my Nana's house, she would keep all her old egg boxes and glue them to the kitchen ceiling for insulation. Quite a few of her friends did the same. This was in the days before winter heating allowance, and where older people still kept their living room "for best".

:thumbup:

GillyR likes this.
  2. metame

metame PetForums VIP

i remember where my nan used to live there's this really steep hill down to the brook and a tree overhangs it, and there being a rope swing on the tree - was amazing to swing on it!

3. rona

rona Guest

4. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

I didn't forget anything about my childhood and still have the bruises to show for it as a reminder:;)

5. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

hmm yeah same :eek: :)

6. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

There isn't much that i have forgotten about my childhood and what i have i can't put on here as i don't remember it.;) lol

Waterlily likes this.
  7. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

??? Huh? You can't picture one thing in any room that you hadn't thought about until I asked you? C'mon...try harder! ;)

8. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

I KNEW you (or someone else) would say that! LOL. Morning Janice.

Take yourself back...picture your childhood. Tell us...what was life like before electricity? :thumbup::001_cool:

9. borderer

borderer Guest

the smell of home made bread and cakes cooling at open window:D

10. rona

rona Guest

We used to eat half while they were hot ;)

11. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Lmao good morning Classix, love you too.:lol:
    Now we did have electric but my nan and grandad still had gas lighting believe it or not, and that was in the early 50's.
    We had no running hot water though.Bath night was on sunday,and we use to have a gas bioler in the bathroom that use use to have to light the pilot light to get it going.The times it would blow the window out that was above the bathroom door was unreal.I kid you not.Oh i could tell you things that i remember fondly of my childhood,that in todays world would be classed as bad things.But i wouldn't change a thing.:D

12. deb53

deb53 PetForums VIP

I can picture my Great Grandmothers front room and kitchen and the one thing that sticks in my mind is......

.......the tall glass bottles of steralised milk. Yuk..we never had tea at her house . Bless her

#12 deb53, May 23, 2010
    Last edited: May 23, 2010
  13. rona

rona Guest

You must remember these Jan
    [​IMG]

We didn't have a bathroom until I was about four, and used one of these in a curtained off part of the kitchen

14. borderer

borderer Guest

used to leave house keys on bit of string in letterbox you could trust people then:D

15. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

lol Rona no we were posh by the time i was born, we had a proper inside toilet and bathroom.:D:thumbup:

16. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

I remember at my nans, the front room that no one went in only on sundays
    No hot water she had a contraption that was called a geezer.
    no fridge things kept cool on the cellar top.
    A television with a coin slot.
    Soot that fell on the window ledges and eveyone painted them white.
    Everyone used to "swill" the yards and paths in front of their houses.
    Toilet in the yard.
    Sterilised milk in the tall thin necked bottles.
    CAMP coffee:eek:

Oh i used to love going to my nans i think thats why all these things stand in my mind.

17. MissShelley

MissShelley PetForums VIP

I can remember sqaubbling with my brothers cos one of us had to get up to change the channel on the telly :D no remotes in them days!

We lived in a village and if you didn't have what you wanted from the shop by 5 o'clock you were buggered until next morning.

I can remember our very first video player... We had a betamax, which my brother wrecked by taking it apart! we then had VHS :D

And I can remember we had no games consoles to speak of! just an atari bat and ball thing dad bought us one xmas.....As for computers ferget it! My brother had a BBC Acorn, which he used to use for programming! he'd spend hours typing in reams and reams of code just to make a stick man who'd walk across the screen for about 3 seconds :D

I can remember trying to get to school in the deep snow of the late seventies, only to get there and find it was closed! :D good times....

I can also remember being allowed to roam free in the summer.... We'd ramble for miles down lanes and over hills, through woods and fields leaving home first thing and coming home at tea time! no mobile phones in them days. There was a place we nicknamed banky bedlands, it was a big field full of steep hills, we'd spend hours rolling down them on plastic sacks to make us go faster :D the land was owned by a Sargeant Major, typical gentry man we'd knock on his door and ask politely if we could play on his land, he always said yes, and always send his maid ( yeah I know lol ) down with lemonade for us after an hour or so :D We were honoured, not many kids were allowed on his lands :D

18. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

I remember doing what you have mentioned in your last paragraph now if children did that it would be called "up to no good" sad really he parents would also be called irresponsible too for allowing them out all day, my god how things have changed and not for the better.

19. Savahl

Savahl Guest

Waiting for the cassettes to load on the commodor 64..

...and the BBC computer we had at school, the one school computer, (but never used during lessons....), my mum would drop me off at school one her way to work so i was always early and sometimes the teachers would let me play on the BBC computer. The only game was a skiing one, when no matter what you did a yeti ate your little pixel man after about 3mins :O(

White dog poo. You dont see white dog poo on the ground anymore! (unless you have your own dog on a barf diet ofc hehe)

My all time fav memory is the smell of bread cooking, there was a mothers pride factory next to the old leisure centre, so swimming always makes me think of baking bread smells cos of that memory from when i was about 6 hehe

I am only 25, so my memories arent that dated i hope lol

20. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

That surprises me. I'm 32, and when I was a little boy we lived in a house where the toilet was at the bottom of the yard and there was no bathroom either. We were washed in a tin bath every Sunday by the fire (Yes...I am being serious).
    In the winter, we would wee in a bin in the corner of the living room at my mum's request "incase the rats bit our bums down at the nettie".
    One year, the pipes froze and burst in the nettie. My dad mended it with a piece of rubber hose (all he had). It would bulge every time you flushed the loo!

:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice