Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

stud??

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by maria., Feb 20, 2008.

1. maria.

maria. PetForums Junior

HI GUYS,
    Im new here great site
    Basically im just after some general advice i know there are various experienced breeders on her, im thinking about offering my bichon frise boy at stud obviously after all relevent health tests permitting and to approved kc reg bitches only. I have been doing a lot of homework and do not want to make money at all my dogs are my life i love them unconditionally. The reason i am thinking of doing this is because he is constantly getting compliments how how gorgeous he is and for the fact he is to the breed standard and i believe would compliment a bitch beautifully. My boy is is a pet but after talking to his breeder who has become a good friend she is full supportive and behind me and has approved providing he will have the health tests which i absoulutely will i.e eyes, patella. He has many champ in pedigree and father has qualifed for crufts twice now, and i feel he is to the breed standard and a beautifull bichon not to mention the temperement that is second to none. I would absoulutely love another and i know theres no guarantee the pup will be anything like him. I will def be responsible for the puppies welfare as that is paramount to me the health and homes are priority. Obviusly im just thinking and researching etc at this stage as hes only 10 months. as i dont show him tho how can i make him known if i do go ahead? Would be intersting to hear how you all got started. and advice would be greatly recieved.
    Thanks maria x

2. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Hi & Welcome,
    Nice to see you doing things properly and it makes a refreshing change.

The best way to get him noticed is to show him,I'm sure your Breeder would help you get going as she seems very reasonable and giving you great advice & support.

This way you will also know if he is worthy of been bred,also bitch owners will see him and may see him as a potential stud for them.You don't necessarily have to be placed for people to recognise him as a potential stud.If he has the attributes there looking for in a stud they will use regardless of been placed at a show.

3. maria.

maria. PetForums Junior

Hi sallyanne,
    Thanks for the reply btw your dogs are stunning i love staffies have 1 next door shes grand old age of 14 bless her and shes still trying to chase the cats.
    Yes i have thought about showing him but have i left it too late to train him up 4 the showring? He would stand for me but not like show dogs do and i dont think 4 that length of time, and he'd probably try and lick the judges to death. Dont know if i'd be anygood myself.

4. englishrose943

englishrose943 PetForums VIP

Hi Maria, Yes he is too young he needs to be approx 2 yrs old. I breed Shih Tzus and i havent shown mine i have just registered him n his pedigree website. Always make the bitch come to you as the stud should be on his own terrortory and a stud fee should be given to the stud owner if the dogs tie together. Also make sure that you see the bitches pedigree. IF MATING DOES OCCUR THEN YOU NEED TO GIVE THE BITCHES OWNERS A COPY OF YOUR STUDS PEDIGREE FOR PUPPY REGISTRATION.Good luck :D

5. maria.

maria. PetForums Junior

hi englishrose Thnx 4 the reply ooh yes i ofcourse realise he is far too young at this stage i am just researching and making sure i am prepered as much as possible before anything. 1 thing tho how can you go far back in to the pedigree to check if they are related or not?? sorry prob sounds like a silly question but i am learning

6. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

No,You haven't left it to late,ringcraft classes is the place to start.If you can't do it yourself I'm sure someone would be willing to handle him for you.
    He will get the hang of it.

Thanks for the lovely comments about my two :)

7. englishrose943

englishrose943 PetForums VIP

Hi Maria goback as far as you can on the pedigree and ask the breeder you got the dog off if you stay in touch if there are any names that are familiar. Of Course there is also line breeding where you can improve a line in the pedigree too.:D
    Michelle

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice