Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Stud Quarters

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by ambalee, Jul 28, 2009.

1. ambalee

ambalee PetForums Newbie

I have decided to keep at stud - with 5 Bengal queens, I think he'll be a busy enough boy! :D
    I have a 10 x 8 shed that I was thinking of converting into his pen, but haven't really got too much idea exactly what to do. I do know that it needs to be insulated, and ventilated, and heated, and must have waterproof light fitting!
    It's the more precise details that are a mystery to me... what is the best lining material, and how thick should it be? How large should his sleeping quarters be, and what's the best heating method etc.
    I'd be so grateful for advice about what others have done please?

Although, if anyone has a surplus stud pen, then please let me know!!!!

Nicky in Surrey x

2. Biawhiska

Biawhiska PetForums VIP

i'm sorry i don't have a stud or a stud house. but i'd want to make it as big and as comfy for him as i could!

3. ambalee

ambalee PetForums Newbie

I agree!
    I want him to live in luxury because he's a gorgeous little purrrrr bundle!!
    I've got plans for windows, shrubs, toys and butterflies etc. A run obviously - I want him to have inside space, outside space, and something inbetween (sheltered outside space).
    I also want to make sure that I get the materials right for him - not such a big sleeping house that he gets cold, or is too expensive to heat! Must be easy to clean so that it doesn't smell too studly! :smilewinkgrin:
    I also want to be able to put company in for him, so it must be large enough for more than one.
    I was also hoping to squeeze in a quarantine pen. The quarantine one obviously wouldn't connect to the run, although I'd have to think about enough space for that one too.
    It's so hard! Isn't there anyone who has some experience in designing something who'd like to comment please? :)
    Thank you so much!!
    Nicky from Surrey x

4. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

I (well my OH mainly) coverted a 10 by 8 shed for my boy. If it was made like mine the insulation was easy because there are uprights all round which jut in. Shove the insulation between the uprights and hold it in with the lining board which can be screwed into the upright thingies. We used sheets of 8x4 (think it is called bristol board. We did the roof and also put in a new floor so that could be insulated too. Floor and walls were then tiled. It's an insulated box with a window and catflaps. After that you build in what you need.

The only thing we had to decide in advance was where the electricity supply comes in (had a professional do that bit) and where I needed catflaps for access to the run(s). I have one from the main part of the house and one from the queens quarters into a separate smaller run for the visiting girls. My boy has access to the whole thing the rest of the time.

5. ambalee

ambalee PetForums Newbie

Thanks for replying havoc!
    Please may I ask then - is the inside of yours divided at all?
    How about heating - do you heat the entire 10 x 8 structure, or do you have sleeping quarters?
    Don't suppose you've got any piccies at all please????? :eek:)
    I have to do it on a budget, because I spent (gulp... mutter) on putting a huge enclosure on the rear of the house (only intended to have queens), but then decided that we would love to have a boy too.
    I was thinking of insulating part of the shed, having part as a sheltered exercise space, and then a conventional outside run too.
    All advice welcome!!!

Nicky xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice