Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Stud pens

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by OrientalSlave, May 31, 2017.

1. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Basil will need a stud pen, am looking at the various options, in the UK.

Any suggestions?

2. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

Are you looking to buy none ready made or build your own? I have no advice but following as will need this in the future myself

3. OrientalSlave

Either but a shed & fit it or get ready made

4. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

@OrientalSlave

Depending on how much you want to spend, your levels of DIY skills (and indeed if you can be bothered with all the DIY nonsense you hae a number of options.

At the cheaper end of the market are https://www.duchyfarmkennels.co.uk/products/catteries/
    The build quality isn't top of the range but I feel it is perfectly acceptable. Runs and houses can be configured to your requirements (I asked for the door positions to be completely changed and a massive window to be added to the side of the house part, for example), and they will come and erect it for you. Mine arrived within 10 days of my ordering it (would have been quicker but they had to build it specially because of my demands). Not sure what insulation they use, but they use plastic sheets to line the house. The downside is that the material they use for the floor and shelf collects every hair and it is impossible to remove it! My Dad placed lino on top which stopped that issue.

At the very expensive end is http://www.shedcetraltd.co.uk/
    Beautiful, beautiful houses and runs, if I had the space and money I'd have these. I'm not sure if they are 'configurable' but I assume they will do what you want within reason. These people used to be Bransby Bunny (possibly one of the BB partners set up on their own). Kingspan insulation and plastic sheeting lining. I believe the lead time on these is quite lengthy though, about 4 weeks.

Alternatively you could go to your local garden building manufacturer. I quick poke about their premises will show you the quality of their work and materials. I have had two houses and runs made by my local bods and the quality it top notch. The price was a touch less than Bransby Bunny and Lindee Lu. The major downside was the lead time. I think I waited some 10 weeks for them due to the fact the company had a lot of work and a cattery is small fry when you've got someone wanting a massive office space/gym/playroom in their garden.

If you have happy to DIY it then a 6x4 shed will cost you around £300. You can buy kingspan insulation in B&Q I think and I used plastic fascia sheets to line one of my self built catteries. The wood and wire for the run can also be purchased at any farm shop (Countrywide) or B&Q (its probably cheaper in the farm shop and you will get better lengths).

#4 Tigermoon, May 31, 2017
    Last edited: May 31, 2017
  5. OrientalSlave

@Tigermoon thanks, very helpful. Even if I was good at DIY my time is limited as I will be starting a full-time job on the 12th June. I also found the wall behind needs some work, but with the Dutchy option it won't be as deep as the shed I've just got rid of, so there should be room behind it to sort out the wall.

Tigermoon likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice