Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Stud not...studding!

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Bengalbreeder, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Bengalbreeder

Bengalbreeder PetForums Newbie

Hi, I purchased a new stud male at the beginning of October from a breeder that said he was proven, even showed me some beautiful kittens that they said we're his.

They said he liked to play rough but as the breeder was holding him on his back in a baby position and tickling his tummy, then asked my partner if he wanted to hold him, we didn't think anything was out of the ordinary.

We get him home and for two weeks he's the most aggressive, fearful cat I've ever seen. Can't touch him, he bites, hisses, growls etc. That's calmed down now and he's mostly okay, apart from random crazy moments where his ears will go down and he lashes out, but now one of my girls is in call and he's not doing anything about it!

He's around 17 months old and as I say meant to be proven, but she's been in there for two days with him now and the first day be kept growling at and attacking her, although that first day she was yowling but nothing else so maybe she wasn't in the right stage of estrous then - but she's now laying there like a sack of spuds with her bottom in the air, screaming the place down and paddling her feet anytime he goes near her, she's even following him round the pen, cooing at him, bless her!

All he's doing is sniffing her back end every now and again, and mostly just charging round the pen in that over excited way kittens do, then jumping at her the way a kitten does with a toy - jumps, arms and legs splayed out, bats her then runs off in the opposite direction!

What would you do in this situation? I've had two studs previously and neither have acted this disinterested, in fact; the first one we bought a few years ago, mated my in-call girl the day he got home with us!

I do keep messaging the breeder we bought him from but they keep telling me how he's proven and has never had an unsuccessful mating, etc etc.

I can't really afford to have a stud that isn't interested in being one!!!

2. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

You've had him a month, I'm sorry but what did you expect? He's just been uprooted from everything he knows, put with strange people and strange cats, new smells, new everything. He's not going to want to work when he is still highly stressed and settling in. Take her out, give him time to establish that this is his new home, and try again a few months down the line

moomoowawa and gskinner123 like this.
  3. Bengalbreeder

As I say, I've had studs that have worked sooner than this so this was a shock to me.

4. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

I so dislike entires being passed around rather than retired.

I'd not think it unusual for this breed to need a while to settle before having a girl put in with him.

moomoowawa, havoc and gskinner123 like this.
  5. Bengalbreeder

See, I thought he'd had a while!

I think I'm in panic mode as I've just got that gut feeling that he's not proven, and I've been lied to.

I only have this boy, so I can't really afford to wait and see how he goes, whilst my girls go in and out of call - the one that's in with him now is very regular, almost constantly in call and I do worry about pyo but I'd rather not start putting her on meds or anything.

He's now contracted for me to neuter before selling on, so I just feel I'm going to make a huge loss on him and I've done that enough over my time breeding, I can't lose money again :(

6. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Are you not friends with the breeder? Why buy off someone you don't know and trust. I'd wonder why he was being sold on.
    Was he at least DNA health tested
    and HCM scanned?

Losing money is a chance taken when breeding.

moomoowawa likes this.
  7. Rufus15

Is the previous breeder unknown to you? Have you no contacts that can help you or advise you?

Sadly breeding is often about making a loss.

8. Bengalbreeder

Not friends, no. I'm not friends with any breeders, keep myself to myself after being sold cat after cat that pulled its own fur out, had calici, etc. I've restarted my breeding programme from scratch so many times I've lost count so maybe that's why I'm impatient and worried.

As I say I've had a boy working the day he got here in the past and this boy now looks settled and happy, but maybe he does need longer as you say.

And yes, all health tests done and I have copies.

9. Bengalbreeder

Two litters in four years and at at least six cats when I was starting out that I paid £1200+ for and had to neuter and resell as pets for £200 or less, not to mention the vet bills of getting them back to health in the first place. Yes, a huge loss.

I have contacts but not friends in the breeding world. Hence posting here.

10. Rufus15

You're creating your own issues by isolating yourself, and causing more still by buying adult cats from unknown breeders.

We have all had to neuter adults and sell them on to pet homes at a loss, I've had to do it twice and have had no litters in the last 7 years. Add show costs onto that and I'm thousands down. It's the nature and risk of breeding.

If you've had to restart your entire programme more than once, surely this would ring alarm bells for yourself that you're going wrong somewhere

11. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

Is he GCCF registered and now in your name? If so, you will be able to see his breeding history online if his breeder registered the kittens he sired.

GCCF office MAY be prepared to help over the phone (if he is registered with them) and at least tell you if there are any kittens registered to him without giving you details. If he is TICA registered it may be worth asking them.

But I suspect as others have said, it is just a waiting game. In over 35 years of breeding I have bred and kept or purchased a number of male kittens. Some were working from a young age, some past two years old, some never worked at all whether they even tried or not. One was very aggressive. It is never a 'done deal' that males will successfully mate. It's disappointing for us but just how it is.

chillminx likes this.
  12. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

That's called breeding. Unless you're claiming to be a commercial breeder and running as a verified business this is a hobby and hobbies cost money. If you are a business then this will be a business expense and can be written off against tax.

moomoowawa, chillminx and gskinner123 like this.
  13. David C

David C PetForums Senior

He needs way more time to settle in and feel comfortable around you and your husband first, As you say you have had some cats that have been fine straight away but they are all different. I'd give him a good 4 months or so to settle before trying him with your girls then introduce them through the bars of a pen for the first 24 hours when your girls are calling before introducing them properly

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice