Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Stud not breeding

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Sarabengals1, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Sarabengals1

Sarabengals1 PetForums Newbie

I have a 1.5 year old Bengal stud. He had a litter of 4 and the a litter of 1 around a year old. In the last 6 months, I’ve tried to breed him to 3 fertile females with no success. The last round I think he completed the mating because 2 females didn’t come back into heat for 8 weeks (they were obviously not pregnant though, no miscarriage). This time I’m not sure he’s actually finishing the job. He mounts them and tries for awhile but seems to give up without the females reacting like he’s finished. He has been to the vet and is in very good health except a mild gingivitis that I’m treating. He tested negative for FELV/FIV.

BTW, I am a TICA registered cattery and have asked my mentor but she never encountered this. I’ve talked about it to my vet, but she’s not a reproductive vet. I’m trying to find a reproductive vet but so far haven’t found one that evaluates male cats.

2. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

Some males just never seem to get on with the job and I've spent many a frustrating hour watching a boy faff about. Your Male is still quite young and inexperienced which could account for the problem, or he could just be like that as a character. Perhaps he lacks confidence? A queen following mating is often a force to be reckoned with and it can frighten some males to the point they stop performing.

The main thing is to rule out any physical issue such as a heart problem, or pain particularly in his spine, pelvis or neck. Some studs can get a 'hair ring' around their penis which prevents mating but I would have thought that unusual in a shorthaired breed.

Are you in the UK? Reproductive vets are few and far between especially for cats but they do exist.

chillminx likes this.
  3. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

If his gums are sore or at all painful - you mention he has gingivitis- he will be unwilling to grip the female's neck for any length of time whilst attempting to mate.

chillminx likes this.
  4. Sarabengals1

He is a very sweet boy and does look scared of the feels when they make sounds. He looks like he’s afraid he’s hurting them. But he has finished the job before with no resulting pregnancy so I don’t think that’s the whole story.

I am not in the UK, I’ve tried to find a RV within 3 hours of me but no luck so far. Several dog vets but none that take cats.

I mentioned the gingivitis because I wondered if that might play into it. He definitely grips their necks though because the get a lot of tiny puncture wounds.

5. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

What country are you in? Someone might know of an RV there.

6. Sarabengals1

The US, northeast. The Tufts University Vet website says they do but when I called they said they aren’t taking appointments because of Covid

7. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

That might be a problem with any other RV. :( I think I might also look at how much another stud would cost (if I could get one) vs how much an RV might cost.

8. Sarabengals1

yes I thought of that. I love this guy so much that I will neuter and keep him as a pet but I was hoping for something to try first. Although I think you are right.

Tigermoon and OrientalSlave like this.
  9. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Are he and the girls negative for TF? It's quite common in the breed and causes fertility issues.

Though I would be cautious about using a boy with teeth issues so young.

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice