Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Stud fee protocol

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Redice, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Redice

Redice PetForums Senior

What is the usual protocol for stud fee's? Is it the price of a puppy to be paid for a positive scan or to be paid on the birth of healthy pups? Or for the mating regardless?

2. Catharinem

Catharinem PetForums VIP

There is normally a set stud fee for if a tie is achieved, with a return free mating if no pregnancy results. Stud fees are not normally as high as the price of a puppy, for example a stud fee for a cocker might be £200 to £300, a puppy selling for £600 +.

Before worrying about payment protocol you need to find a stud who is a good example of the breed, with a sound temperament and good health test results - these are not the same as a check up, but a thorough test which might include hip and elbow scores, or DNA tests for certain genetic diseases. Many are recessive, which means a parent carrying one normal and one disease gene might appear normal in a physical exam, yet when bred with another "carrier" ( the term for a dog having one bad gene but not showing disease as also has one normal gene) can have pups with disease. This might be degenerative eyesight over many years as in PRA, or death by usually 6 months, as in FN. If your bitch is clear she could go to a carrier stud if he had exceptional other qualities, and resulting puppies were not intended for breeding or were only put to clear studs themselves, otherwise she should only go to a stud tested " clear" or "homozygous normal".

What is your breed, then others can jump on with breed specific info?

Why do you wish to breed, do you have a mentor to assist you through the process?

Do you have the funds to pay for emergency cesarean if needed? Facilities to take back any puppy whose home circumstances change?

This is assuming your bitch is kc reg without endorsements, there are too many crossbred or unregistered puppies and adult dogs in rescue without adding to the problem.

Lurcherlad, Redice and Pappychi like this.
  3. Redice

Redice PetForums Senior

Thank you for all the info. I am the owner of the stud dog and wanted to know what agreement I should make with the bitch owner. Thanks again.

4. Catharinem

Catharinem PetForums VIP

If your boy is tested or heritability clear he can go to any bitch, otherwise the bitch must be clear herself.

Check pedigrees against each other.

Check her registration papers do not have endorsements - you might think it doesn't matter, but getting a reputation for mating bitches their breeders did not want to be bred from will hinder you in future.

Get a photo/video clip to show the bitch owner.

Provide a copy of your boy's pedigree, and a note of date mated.

When the bitch owner wishes to register the puppies, the KC will write to you to check your stud is indeed the father of the puppies.

Take out insurance cover for the duration the bitch is with you, you never can tell what might happen, and if a dog escapes from your care you will be liable.

Goes without saying vaccs and wormers should be up to date.

Lurcherlad and Redice like this.
  5. Redice

Redice PetForums Senior

Hi Thanks. My boy is health tested and we have met the bitch who has also been health tested. The breeder of the bitch is willing to raise the endorsement for this mating. I really just wanted to know whether to ask for a stud fee at the time of mating, at the time of a positive scan or when the pups are born.

6. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

When I was breeding, the stud fee was payable if a successful mating took place. To be more precise, two matings, two days apart.

The Owner of the bitch is paying for the services of your dog and you cannot guarantee pups will result.

Is your dog unproven at this point?

Pappychi and Redice like this.
  7. Redice

Redice PetForums Senior

Ah great, thanks for that. No he is not unproven. He has sired 3 previous litters. One bitch owner paid on positive scan and the other (who used my boy on 2 different bitches) paid when pups were born. This time I wanted things to be clear.

8. Doggiedelight

Doggiedelight PetForums VIP

I believe as said about £200-£300.

What breed is your boy?

9. Catharinem

Catharinem PetForums VIP

After a successful tie, photo /video clip to show owner. One remating if no pups result first time.

Hope all goes well.

Redice likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice