Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Stud cats how many matings?

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Lunarags, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Lunarags

Lunarags PetForums Member

Hi there
    I own a stud cat but am quite new to it, i stud him out and he generally will mate with the queen 10-15 times before he gets bored and starts ignoring her. Is this enough? How many times should i expect him to mate with each female? Is it normal for studs to get bored and ignore females after the first 48hrs or so? Even when they are still presenting to him?

2. David C

David C PetForums Senior

Yes some studs can get disinterested in a queen after mating her a few times.
    With our last litter our boy only mated our girl twice and she had 5 kittens.

QOTN and Lunarags like this.
  3. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

They are all different. Judge by the results. Basil got Sadie pregnant in a few matings one afternoon. Apparently his father would only mate a girl a few times, but they got pregnant.

Lunarags, QOTN and David C like this.
  4. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

All my three boys were bred from my line but I think it could be an inherited feature since @OrientalSlave's boy comes down from my line and they all did the business and then lost interest. I have been to studs where the breeder has said their boy keeps trying even when the girl has stopped calling. I can remember leaving a girl with a particular stud for five days and when I went to collect her I had to wait while he had one last go. He wasn't even a young stud!

David C and Lunarags like this.
  5. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

I've owned 9 studs during my time as a breeder, and every single one has felt his job was done after 48 hours.

I only do supervised matings so most queens would be mated 8 times in that 48hrs. With my current stud however, a queen is lucky to be mated more than 3 times. He's never missed one though, and I get at least 4 kittens which is above average for the breed.

Lunarags and David C like this.
  6. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

It only takes 1 mating, more just increase the odds.

Our boys are usually worn out by 2-3 days.

Have you not got a mentor guiding you?

Lunarags likes this.
  7. David C

David C PetForums Senior

We also only do supervised meetings hence knowing our girl was only mated twice. After that he wasnt bothered and the day after she stopped calling as well.

Tigermoon and Lunarags like this.
  8. Lunarags

Thank you for all the replies they've been really helpful. Weve just let them out around the house and now they are at it like rabbits again. No i dont have a mentor i bought him recently from someone who wasnt looking after him properly he had never been studded out before i bought him he is so much happier now but obviously no mentor. The woman only had him for 2 months before selling him to us...

9. spotty cats

Owning a stud is a big responsibility, not for novices, offering stud services even more so.

What breed is he?

10. Lunarags

I understand that but weve all got to start somewhere. He is a ragdoll

11. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

The easiest place to start is with one girl using someone else's stud. By the time you have a cat at open or semi-open stud you need to be experienced enough to support novice breeders, people with their first breeding girl and no previous of fostering, for example.

Of course we have no idea what other cats you have, and what you have - or have not - bred.

David C likes this.
  12. Lunarags

Exactly so stop judging. I am experienced in breeding girls and able to offer sound advice when needed. I always tell poeple when they collect their girl to contact me with any news or breeding questions as that is part of the fee they pay and i have the relevant experience to provide this.

13. spotty cats

It's unusual to be very experienced in breeding but not know how many matings are usual.

David C likes this.
  14. Fendi

Fendi PetForums Junior

sorry but that just me laugh! Some of them can be really horny little devils.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice