Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Stuck!

Discussion in 'Dog Rescue and Adoption' started by pixxieface, Nov 8, 2012.

1. pixxieface

pixxieface PetForums Newbie

As you can probably tell, I am new here.
    I need a little help with something.
    I have a nearly 2 and a half year old 1/2 Alsatian, 1/4 Staffy, 1/4 Jack Russel.
    He is big, strong and needs quite a bit of attention.
    My partner and me got Barney when he was 6 weeks old. At this point we were both unemployed. He hasn't cost us a lot as he has always been a healthy dog.
    My partner has recently become employed full time.
    For reasons I would rather not explain, I am currently living somewhere without a garden for Barney, because of this I am having to take him out on his lead to the field. This does not bother me at all.
    Barney is a big dog and needs lots of walking.
    Since my partner and myself got Barney, my health has deteriorated.
    Before my partner was working full time, we used to take him out either together, or my partner would take him on long walks, which he needs.
    When I am outside my joints have started to seize up, and I cannot be outside for long periods of time, which is annoying to say the least.
    I want to take Barney out on his long walks, which he 1. needs and 2. deserves but I get to the park, I'm out for five minutes and can go no further, I try and push myself to go further, but end up having to turn around as I just cannot do it.
    It bugs me that I cannot do it.
    I would like some advice on whether people really think its a good idea for me to try and rehome Barney or whether to keep going with the short walks?

2. Summersky

Summersky PetForums VIP

It is great that you are thinking carefully about Barney's needs, but you need to think carefully about looking after yourself too.

I am wondering whether you have any friends or family that could commit to taking Barney for regular,long, daily walks, to help you with that? Or advertise locally. There are many people who love dogs, and would happily walk one, but aren't able to commit to owning one themselves.

Also, is your OH able to walk him before or after work?

Without asking personal questions, you also need to think about how keeping Barney will affect your health long term. Having a pet can be really beneficial and therapeutic, so improving health. But if you are unlucky enough to have something debiltating like ME/chronic fatique, then you have to cosset yourself and conserve energy, to come through. pushing yourself to walk as far as you can will only make some conditions worse.

When my friend had ME, she too had a dog that needed long, daily walks. She was lucky -some nearby neighbours loved her dog, and happily waked it for months and months, until she improved and was able to it herself again. There are people like that out there.

Hopefully you have had your own diagnosis, and know what to expect going forward. If you are likely to improve with the right treatment, it might be worth trying to involve other people to help you. If you expect your health to deteriorate further, you may sadly need to consider rehoming Barney, for his and for your well being.

is Barney coping living in a flat?

Have you discussed this with your OH? (congratulations to him, too, for getting a job in difficult times) What does he say?

3. pixxieface

Its annoying as I haven't actually been diagnosed with anything, doctors have said to me, yes there is something wrong but what it is I do not know.

4. househens

househens Guest

Do you have the option to pay a dog walker every 2nd day, perhaps? Or find a friend with a dog that gets on with yours, and hire a private paddock, possibly 10 pounds for an hour? possibly 5, (may well be 10, for 2 dogs), split between you, and throw balls and let them run about and exhaust themselves, whilst you sit and have tea, and throw the balls.

Also, if you get a horse lungeing whip, you can tie a favorite toy or treat to the end, and can sit or stand in the field, and tease hm with it, and poop him out, without actually moving around much. You may be lucky enough to get 2 more chums with friendly dogs, and you can all split the daily cost of a private field.

Just a few possibilities... Or shout someone the use of the field for their dog, in return for a lift for your dog and you, to the paddock.

5. Shrap

Shrap PetForums VIP

Take a camping chair and sit with a ball launcher/let him sniff around. Maybe get a dog walker to take him somewhere interesting once or twice a week.

Do any painkillers work for you? I have arthritis and hate taking medication but sometimes I need to and it just takes enough of an edge off for me to push through.

Also ask the doctor to run more tests, it took 5 years for me to be diagnosed with something, hopefully it won't take as long for you!

Try different types of pain killers to see what works for you in case you ever really need them.

6. pixxieface

I suggested the dog walking to my partner last night, and he turned his nose up, but I will have to persuade him that if its the best option so that Barney will get longer walks of a daytime, even if its twice a week, we will have to find the money for it!
    It kills me not being able to take him out..
    We spoke last night about a lot of things, my partner is now gonna be trying to take him out before work and I take him out throughout the day, on short 15 minute walks about 3 or 4 times, and then myself and my partner are taking him out when hes back from work.
    As soon as we have enough money, we will be buying a ball slinger, and some solid rubber balls as Barney thinks its a good idea to eat tennis balls......
    The rubber ones may be too heavy for the slinger, but they go so much further with the slinger than when I throw them.

Thank you EVERYONE for your help and advice!
    Alot!
    We have decided that we are gonna keep Barney, and see how things go!
    Things should be better with what my partner and myself have talked about.

Again. Thankyou!!

7. Summersky

Summersky PetForums VIP

Hope everytihng works out for you all - and hope the doctor is a bit more proactive about helping you. It sounds like he should be running some tests,so you know what you are up against, and how to manage it.

Even a simple diet change can help joints - bizarrely, I can't drink any coffee at all, as it make all my joints ache like there is no tomorrow. My Mum can't have citrus for same reason.

Also in the family, we have someone who is vitamin B12 deficient. She has regular injections to control it but it was years before the docs found out the problem. He legs/joints ache all the time unless she has the jabs, and it is an effort to do anything - so lots for the doc to investigate.

Good luck.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice