Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Stuck. My Cat Stopped Eating Raw Food. Am I Right Doing This?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Deleted member 1512246, Dec 7, 2020.

1. My cat has suddenly stopped eating raw food completely and refuses to even touch any other raw meat, my cat would rather go hungry. My cat was eating raw venison from my local butcher and I tried my cat with lamb and pork and refused to touch the meat. I dashed out to the local supermarket and purchased IAM's dry food (ocean fish) my cat has eaten this with no problems.

I am planning this a stop gap food for a few days or so and then try my cat with raw food again. Am I wrong doing this? I didn't know what to do as my cat won't eat any of the wet food on offer at the supermarket and my cat won't eat the Mjamjam canned food anymore?

2. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums VIP

Sometimes we have to feed them what they'll eat, even if it's not the best.

I'd be more concerned about why he suddenly stopped eating his normal food. Have you been to the vet?

3. Thank you for your reply.

I haven't contacted the vet just yet. My cat seems content tonight after eating the IAM's Ocean Fish dry food tonight. I am going to see how things go and them try and re-introduce the normal food my cat eats in a few days time.

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@rawpawsrus - perhaps one of the batches of raw was "off" and that is why your cat refused it. Cats are very clever at making associations between one thing and another, it is an inherent skill that's an important part of their survival strategy.

Your cat may now be associating all raw meat with feeling unwell. If it were me I would give him a longer break than a few days from the raw food. The raw food is presumably in the freezer so it will keep there for weeks while you feed your cat other foods in the meantime. (Preferably not just dry food but some good quality wet food too)

There is also the possibility alluded to by Babyshoes that your cat was feeling off colour anyway and refused the raw meat for that reason. Again, an association of ideas might cause the cat to reject all raw food for a while. It is not unknown.

Personally I would be wary of feeding my cat raw venison after the Bovine TB scare a couple of years ago where a number of cats became very ill and some died from the infection.

Granted the company that sold the contaminated venison has removed it from their range of raw pet foods. But in the study done by Danielle Gunn-Moore and her research team at Edinburgh University it was recommended that no raw wild venison from any source be fed to cats because of the TB risk.

https://veterinaryrecord.bmj.com/content/174/13/322

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...l-instinct-university-edinburgh-a8920606.html

5. The dry food didn't last long my cat ate it yesterday and this morning and then my cat refused to eat it after lunch time. I purchased some raw pork leg escalopes from Waitrose and made some up for my cat and my cat ate the majority of it.

I agree @chillminx that perhaps the raw food was off. The raw meat is separated into daily portions and frozen. Regarding the venison I am discontinuing feeding it to my cat and will stick with feeding my cat raw pork and lamb for now with Felini complete.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice