Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Struvite crystals/stones

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Tweedle Dee, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Tweedle Dee

Tweedle Dee PetForums Member

Has anyone on here had this problem with their dog?,

Im asking on behalf of a lady/friend who bought one of our Lab pups last year. She develped a urine infection which was treated, but the vets have said the tests came back that she had struvite crystals in her urine. She is going to be placed on the hills prescription diet to treat it. I have read that struvite crystals and later stones usually occurs in slightly older dogs (age 2+) Her Bitch is only 10 months old. And usually breeds such as Beagles and other small dogs.

Just wondered as i said if anyone else had come across this and how they got on with treatment? At present this little girl is suffering from a degree of incontinence with it.

Ang x

2. garryd

garryd Guest

Yes i went through crystals/stones with my bitch tia:( but she was just 7months old:( she kept getting loads and i mean loads" of blood in her wee:( after a course of anti biotics she passed them!:( you might have to put your dog on a food like james wellbelove ! as i did !

3. Tweedle Dee

Thanks, is your girl over them now or does the condition still have to be managed? Did you have to put her on a 'special' diet? Have you have kept her on the JWB?

Thanks again for your reply,

Ang x

4. garryd

garryd Guest

i was advised to,and did for a while ,but then desided not to as they go through alot of changes at that age! but so far so good ,it has not came back!

5. Tweedle Dee

Thanks Garry, will pass on what you have told me!. :D

6. garryd

garryd Guest

i have had kidney stones and i can tell you they are painful:( so you bet are dogs must be in pain also if they have got the same thing!:(

7. Tweedle Dee

She did say she was a tad down in the dumps , poor girl.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice