UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Right I am sitting here in tears.

Again I have been up since 4am with Tink who woke us up crying and scraping at the door she is now just over 6 months old .

We have tried water pistols getting up and feeding her and settling her back down but I am at the end of my tether. We are waiting for another kitten at teh moment but other half is like what if they both do it?

I really don think I can cope anyone got any brain waves.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I know exactly how you feel, Cassie was like this when she was young, every night/morning she would wake up and start meowing at the bedroom door at 3/4am! Everyone just told us to ignore her and she would stop. But the meowing would often be constant for 2-3 hours, by which time it was time for us to get up anyway!

This is probably not going to be good news for you, but she only really stopped it when we moved house. We decided to not to let her in our bedroom at all from the start, and from the day we moved she never did it anymore.

Hopfully getting the new kitten will be a bit of a distraction for her and having some company at night may stop her from wanting so much attention from you. Maybe get a Feiliway plug-in diffuser too, this can help with stress and will be good for helping Tink feel at ease when you get the new kitten.

I hope she stops soon and you can start catching up on sleep! :)

·
Registered
22,552 Posts
When are you getting your new kitten? I'm afraid theres not much else you can do in the meantime unless she is confined to another room.

When you get the new kitten I would start by not letting him in the bedroom at all and once they have got used to each other they will probably prefer to play with each other at night.

Good Luck :)

·
Registered
14,207 Posts
It's a bit like sleep training kids - hard at first but they do eventualy crack.

Firstly find the room furthest away from your room and make that her room. Put her in it when you go to bed and say goodnight and then shove the ear plugfs in - NO MATTER WHAT do not get up and see to her, you are only reinforcing the behaviour. Try to only let her out when she is quiet and on your terms - talk to her once you are up but don't get into the habit of always letting her out first, try to make it different every time so she doesn't expect anything. She may cry all night for the first 3 or 4 nights she may not. But you need to be cruel to be kind. Develop it into a routine and stick to it. Within a week or two she will have adjusted to her new situation. It's hard but you have to be tough or this will carry on forever. If you feel the habit is too hard to break (cos you are knackered now) put her in a cattery for a couple of nights and then start the new routine. This will give her a break from home and you a couple of nights sleep. Hopefully when the new one comes you will have the routine sorted and the new one will accept it straight away and they will entertain themselves and not keep you awake at night.

Oh, and if you don't have a room to put her in get a large dog cage (big enoughfor bed, litter tray and food and water) and use that - cover it with a blanket to make it dark and cosy and put it at the opposite end of the house from you.

Remember BE TOUGH and STICK TO YOUR GUNS - it can and will get better if you are consistant.

·
Registered
96 Posts
As above really and she should grow out of it. Personally i think you are CRAZY getting another kitten whilst she is like this. You will just have TWO kittens waking you up at all hours of the night instead of one!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the kitten I am getting is at least 4 m onths away as not been born yet so dont really think I am bring crazy.

I am asking for help to solve the problem.

And I was emotional this morning due to lack of sleep. She is going to the breeders for 3 nights to settle her then bring her back into the new routine.

Thanks for all the positive advice.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Hi,can i ask why you are so against her coming in your room? we have all bedroom doors open at noght and sometimes up to 8 cats in the house and none of them bother us at all:)they will occasionally sleep on the bottom of the beds,but more often not.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
We have 4 cats and they all are allowed in the bedroom. I don't understand either why your little kitten is locked out of the bedroom. I would feel awful if i knew they were crying at the door to get to me for company.

Mine don't sleep with us all the time but now and again we will wake up with one close by but they very rarely bother us. Sonic will only tap our face if the biscuits run out in the night.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
As above really and she should grow out of it. Personally i think you are CRAZY getting another kitten whilst she is like this. You will just have TWO kittens waking you up at all hours of the night instead of one!
Easy Tiger! :) Another cat may help the problem.

When I had cats pre-children, they were allowed free run of the house, this meant running along the bed sideways (playing) biting our toes, scratching on the carpet to get out at all hours, which was fine as I could lie in.

After having one child who did not sleep, I refuse to let a cat sleep in our room, we have only just managed to get the child sleeping through the night so no way would I put up with a cat waking me now.

They are quite happy mostly anywhere as long as they have warmth, food and water.

Hope you get it sorted.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Well the kitten I am getting is at least 4 m onths away as not been born yet so dont really think I am bring crazy.

I am asking for help to solve the problem.

And I was emotional this morning due to lack of sleep. She is going to the breeders for 3 nights to settle her then bring her back into the new routine.

Thanks for all the positive advice.
For a start you didnt say it would be months before you got your other kitten so i assumed! Either way you will still have two young cats racing round playing with each other at ridiculous times of the day and night. This depends of course on if your existing cat actually wants feline company!

I understand how emotional it can be. We took a foster kitten on who was 8 weeks old and he just wouldnt be left alone and the constant crying to get in the room or just to be cuddled started to get unbearably emotional.

Who suggested going back to the breeders? Wouldnt this be terribly stressful to the kitten moving it back and forth?

·
Registered
14,207 Posts
I have two cats and neither are allowed in the bedroom - I sleep really lightly and every move would wake me - also my hubby is slightly allergic and having the cats on the bed at night would set him off. It really is personal choice and once Tinks understands that she isn't coming in she will settle. Each to their own - I couldn't and wouldn't have my cats or my children in the same bed as me and also don't understand those who do. But that's my choice and TM's choice and it needs respecting.

TM, I also have a kitten coming and it isn't even concieved yet! Exciting isn't it? - if you start as you mean to go on with the little one when it comes there will be very few probs. Mine cried for about 5 mins and then accepted the situation. Good idea about the breeders too - hopefully it will be long enough to start breaking the habit and she will be wonderful soon.

·
Registered
14,997 Posts
Hi

I have never let my cat in the bedroom either....mainly because my OH cannot stand all the fur......it is personal preference.

When I got my cat he was 8wks old and he was exactly the same! used to cry to at the door until someone got up with him! I did this for a couple of weeks but realised I had to get tough so we had to leave him to cry....it broke my heart at first but eventually he got the message that it wasnt working anymore and stopped, it does take a while...hang in there it will get better:)xx

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
TM, I also have a kitten coming and it isn't even concieved yet! Exciting isn't it? - if you start as you mean to go on with the little one when it comes there will be very few probs. Mine cried for about 5 mins and then accepted the situation. Good idea about the breeders too - hopefully it will be long enough to start breaking the habit and she will be wonderful soon.
I am in talks over getting another too. Its all very exciting!! Although slighty confusing at the same time. So many too choose from.

·
Registered
22,552 Posts
Im glad you will be getting a few good nights sleep, it can do wonders! Just be consistant in keeping her out and she will soon get the message :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks all for the replys.

She is mot allowed in the bedroom for one reason only that at about 4 am she attacks feet. Untill then she sleeps lovely with us so I thought the best thing to do would be consistant and shut her out completley instead of locking her out half way through the night.

She is not stressed at going to the breeders as they are good friends and we stay over their frequently and she comes with us.

But we now have a new solution to trial till new kitty comes home our breeder hasa quenn who is two young to be mated and I am keeping her till new kitten is ready to come home.

SO thank you all for your help and I will update in a few days time!

·
Registered
743 Posts
Sorry to hear you are struggling.

I hope it works out for you, Be persistant although it is hard, I gave in to my cat and he is now a very stroppy kevin type charachter that rules the roost :(

( We are working on it though ;) )

Getting them both into a strict routine when they come back (as has been mentioned). I think it might be best if neither cat is allowed into the room at any time of day that should help stop any confustion.

All in all just try not to let the cats rule you. You are the human, you decide if they can go in/out have dinner/ need to go to the vets/ be brushed. Hopefully if you can get the balance readressed you will both have a better relationship.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What ever I do here I am not going to please everyone.

I am not trying to be cruel (breeders cat is on the pill) as she kept calling from four months.

I am trying to do the best thing all round this is a very emotional subject and most people have been very helpfull.

I cant lock her downstairs no as I live in a apartment. I can here her from all rooms last night the girls were playing tinky scratched at the door at about 5.30 then went back to sleep untill 6.

So a minor sucsess.

I am sorry if anyone thinks I am cruel I am trying to do what is best and least painfull for my cat.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.