Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Struggling with sleep

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by m0t, Sep 16, 2020 at 8:20 AM.

1. m0t

m0t PetForums Newbie

My cockapoo puppy is 17 weeks old and in the last two weeks has stopped sleeping properly and it is really causing us problems.

When we first got him he would sleep in his crate with no problems and we would get up one or two times a night because he needed the toilet. After a couple of weeks he started sleeping until about 5:30am and we thought we had cracked it.

Last two weeks he has woken us up crying and barking four to five times a night. We go and take him outside for a toilet and he will just sit down. He gets no play and just gets put back after 5 minutes. We've tried leaving him to bark when we knew he didn't need anything but he didn't stop. The noise he makes is the same whiney bark that he does when he gets put in his playpen or we go upstairs (from separation).

His schedule is currently waking up at 6, breakfast then a short walk, lunch at 1, dinner at 6, longer walk and then bed at 9:30.

Usually in the evening he falls asleep on the floor at around 8:30.

Ive seen some recommending feeding his evening meal later because he might be hungry in the night. He's currently being fed to the schedule the breeder gave us and the online advice is feed 3 hours before bed. I'm happy to try changing it at this point if it might help.

We can't put his bed in with us - our room is a loft room at the top of a staircase. There's no room around the bed for a crate and no landing outside the door.

He is teething at the moment (4 down so far). It doesn't seem to bother him during the day but I suppose could be upsetting him at night. We've left teething toys in with him but it doesn't look like he plays with them at night.

Help

Edit: we've got an adaptil plug in near his crate and have been trying those Zylkene pills as well.

#1 m0t, Sep 16, 2020 at 8:20 AM
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2020 at 8:49 AM
  2. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi. Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like he's lonely and/or anxious. Has he been expected to sleep alone since you got him? If so, that could be contributing to his anxiety when left in the play pen as well as the night time crying (I doubt it's hunger). A baby, separated from mum and siblings, taken to a strange place, with human company during the day, then suddenly shut away, in a crate, all alone at night.

Don't ignore the crying and barking - he's communicating to you that he has a need that isn't being met. If he can't sleep with you in your room, maybe sleep downstairs with him. It won't be forever, but right now, he needs the reassurance of your physical presence close by.

m0t, Boxer123 and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. m0t

m0t PetForums Newbie

Yes, he has been sleeping alone since we got him with no issues until the last couple of weeks. Some of the other litter parents had them in their rooms at the start but they've all transitioned them to different rooms now.

We have tried to sleep downstairs with him twice, he still barks and the second time he got more distressed because he couldn't get out of his crate (we tried but then he just wants to nip) so we didn't do it again.

Weirdly during the day he will go off and nap by himself.

4. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I slept on the sofa with Dillon for a few weeks, when he cried I told him gently but firmly to go to sleep, letting him know I was there but not giving him any fuss.

Just be gentle with him let him know your there, talk to him if he continually barks or cries it may take few nights, don't reward him by picking him up unless you are taking him out of a toilet breaks.

Puppies are hard work but it's worth it in the long run.

m0t likes this.
  5. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

I always give my dogs a bed time biscuit as they get hunger pukes in the morning without, so he might benefit from a little snack, also could it be noises from outside disturbing him, either neighbours setting off or coming home or wildlife, we get a badger in the garden at times and he sounds like a herd of baby elephants and currently we have apples falling off the tree and they make such a thump that they make jump let alone the dogs.

m0t likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice