Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Struggling With Pulling Dog

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Johnny1987, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Johnny1987

Johnny1987 PetForums Newbie

Hi Guys,

I was hoping to get some advice as a first time dog owner. I have had my malamute for 8 months now and by now he is pretty strong. I have been trying my very best since he was a pup to walk nice on a loose lead but he pulls. I have tried different training methods and usually refer to youtube or forums just to see what i can be doing better. I have not had any success if i am being honest and as my dog is pretty powerful now, its really frustrating trying to walk him. He wears a julius k9 harness for his walks, but as expected this gives him more control over me with his strength and the type of harness it is. I am wanting to know if theres anything you guys can suggest, whether its a product or training tips. I was considering a collar but i dont want him to keep pulling and hurt his neck, i have had a look at halti's but i am still in two minds whether i will be treating my dog badly by him wearing that. Please help, i am actually kind of desperate for advice as his walks are really important but at the same time i dread that time in the day as its such a difficult task right now.

Thanks

2. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

How long did you use each method for? I ask because it does often take longer than you think for a dog to 'get it'. Training programmes and videos do tend to make it look like an instant fix and it's not.

Katalyst and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

You need to teach him to yield to lead pressure:

I loathe loose lead training, but this does work. You just have to be very consistent and understand it will NOT happen overnight. However, I do not use a harness for this as I found in ineffective, but rather via a collar......

I like to keep a middle ground approach as I feel it's fairly unrealistic for the average young dog to maintain a loose lead in every situation. So I use a harness when I'm happy for the dog to range ahead or when attached to a long line, and a collar where lead pressure rules apply when I want loose lead walking......

4. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Have you tried a front fastening no pull type of harness? I find these generally work well as the dog hasn't got so much to pull against in the same way a s back fastening harness. It doesn't miraculously train your dog, but it allows you to prevent the dog from pulling and getting the attention back onto you so that you can train for loose lead walking.

With my dog I wore out the word 'heel' by constantly saying it and trying to bring the dog back to heel and she stopped listening. I then changed the word to 'close' and continued with the training that seems to have brought a level of better understanding of what I wanted, plus she was a little older by this time and listening more. It didn't mean she understood the word of course, but a new word for the same thing seemed to help. If she is offlead and I want her to walk close beside me I use the word 'close' and put my walking pole horizontally in front of her to prevent her from moving forward in front of me, just as a barrier nothing more, and that seemed to really help her understand what I required and she will walk nicely beside me now when asked.

Lurcherlad and Jamesgoeswalkies like this.
  5. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

Took me longer than 8 months to teach my tank to walk on a loose leash consistently. It's dull dull dull, you just have to keep at it. I used the stop dead, or about turn and go another way as soon as the lead went tight. Sometimes it took us 30 mins to get to the end of the road.......
    Also you are fighting against a strong breed trait. They were bred to pull, it will take time! Lots of time

6. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

OP, have you also trained the 'look at me'? This gets the dog used to bringing his attention back to you. I've found that's the basis of most training. A dog that is not focused on you is just not listening and more interested in the fun stuff out there.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  7. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

I've used the same technique to train my dogs. I chose the most boring road I could find with the minimum of doggy distractions, which luckily was the lane outside my home. We'd walk up and down it, stopping and starting, turning round and going in the opposite direction. Takes a lot of patience but if you stick at it consistently you get there in the end.

I've just seen your dog wears a Julius K9 Harness same as my two do. If it has the handle on the back, once your dog moves forward and looks as though he's going to pull, put your hand on the handle, not to restrain him but to remind him, he's pushing his luck. I also used to hold the handle lightly when we stopped and only let it go when I wanted my dog to move on again.

I also found using a longer than normal lead helped. I walk both my dogs on 2 metre Julius K9 leads which I hold in one hand and use the other to control and direct them. It also means I can use both hands if one or both suddenly decides to lunge.

#7 Magyarmum, Mar 4, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  8. Teddyshihtzu

Teddyshihtzu PetForums Newbie

Hi Johnny1987,

My neighbour has a large breed dog (german shepard) and she uses police training leads and halti. I also know someone with an alaskan malamute who uses the halti too.
    They have sung praises about this lead method and the alaskan malamute was terrible before to the point she could barely walk her but now is like a different dog. You are not been mean buy usinng a halti ur giving yourself a break and your dog the training that he/she needs. Dogs want to please their owners so im sure she wont mind wearing halti when she sees how much more relaxed you are when out with her and your the master in control not the other way about.

9. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

Yes of course! My eye skipped over the breed. It will take a lot longer then cos there's generations of ancestors all pulling away in your dog!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice