Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Struggling with Food

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by SamUK007, Mar 21, 2017.

1. SamUK007

SamUK007 PetForums Newbie

Hi,

My British blue is 5 months old and i have been struggling with food.

He came on a raw diet as i continued - the breeder was giving him dog food though frozen..

I had got some Natural Instincts Chicken Banquat Food - though he does eventually eat it he does not enjoy it..

https://www.naturalinstinct.com/country-banquet-chicken-cat-food

I just put food out for him..he took afew nibbles and walked away..and come back later.few nibles then off..

My brother who got a another kitten at the same time as me has the same problem.

I have also mixed the food with warm water..

I was at the pet shop and picked up a packed of salmon Science Plan Tender Chunks in Gravy..and he finished this like he had never eaten before and was very active afterwards..

http://www.hillspet.co.uk/en-gb/pro...ce-plan-kitten-favourite-selection-pouch.html

He has been to the vet - though they suggested some other wet food.

Any help appreciated?

I have seen posts that suggest science plan is bad for cats...so what should i do?

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

If you have found a wet food your kitten eats with enjoyment then I would stick to it. :) . Who knows, perhaps he didn't much like the raw food the breeder was feeding him. Not all cats do like raw food.

I tried 2 of mine with home prepared raw when they were kittens and they wouldn't touch it! Nor will they to this day. Yet my other cats love it! I have to say though none of them likes the ready prepared raw you can buy from Nutriment etc.

It is not that Science Plan wet food is bad for cats, it is a perfectly adequate food, but it does contain cereals (wheat flour) and some people prefer to feed their cats a grain free diet which is lower in carbs. Cats do not need carbs in their diet and some cats find grains hard to digest so they get loose stools. Also pate type foods are generally better quality than foods that are chunks in gravy.

If your cat is happier with wet food there are hundreds of options for him. It is good to give him some variety so he does not get bored wth one food and also all nutritional bases are covered. If you want to go the grain free route then Natures Menu, HilLife chopped chicken in jelly and Lilys Kitchen are good choices. (all from Pets@Home).

if you are looking for more affordable food it is worth buying online from companies such as Zooplus and The Happy Kitty Company, both places where many of us on the forum buy our cat food. Most of the foods are pate style and are canned but if you start your cat early on these he is more likely to accept the idea of pate. You can chop the pate into small pieces or mash it for him.

Here are some ideas of foods:

From Zooplus, Grau Kitten, Animonda Carny Kitten, Vom Feinsten Kitten, Feringa Kitten. (all pate type). If you want some chunks in gravy or jelly then pouches of Rafine Soupe for kittens, or Miamor Ragout Royale for kittens are not bad. (Though note that both makes in gravy contain grains).

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches

From the Happy Kitty Co;

Granatapet Kitten
    Macs Kitten

https://www.happykittycompany.co.uk/collections/cat-food/Kitten

We would love to see a photo of your kitten. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice