Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Struggling to introduce new kitten

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Chloe2105, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Chloe2105

Chloe2105 PetForums Newbie

I recently got a new kitten (11 week old and male) but already had a cat who is now 1 year 10 months and been with us since she was 6 months. I used proper protocol; letting them only smell each other through the door, exchanging blankets, letting them see each other in their cages, giving them equal treats next to each other, etc. I was doing this for about a week and a half before I let them have some supervised time out in the same room, it started out fine, they smelt each other, played with the laser together, even slept next to each other then the kitten started being energetic and was jumping around and the older cat didn’t like that so she went to attack him but stopped when I stood up and shouted ‘stop it’ and sat in front of him and hissed and he growled back. I moved the kitten into his room and let tink have some time in the kitchen to calm down. 2 days later we tried again and this time tink just went for him and started to attack me because I was trying to break up the situation. I went back to only letting them smell each other at door, etc. Then another few days later tried again, tink was very calm, slow and cautious but wasn’t so bothered by the kitten and they spent about an hour in the same room just smelling and looking at each other, both calm and friendly approaching each other sniffing and all was calm till the kitten jumped on top of the couch and started hissing at tink which then she just loses it and attacks the kitten but as I managed to pick him up in time she ended up latching onto my leg and seriously hurting me with bites and scratches, I understand this was aggression aimed at Tom as I was holding him but I just don’t know what to do as I’m expecting a baby in 8 weeks time!! Does the kitten have to go or do they both have to go? I’m most afraid of one or both of them reacting badly to the baby! I really need some help

2. CalicoLove2019

CalicoLove2019 PetForums Junior

Hello, I know what you are going through as I just did. What I did that helped was doing a "time out" when things got tense. It seems like you are doing the right things. It really just takes time..i found. Now i don't leave the baby kitt alone TOO long with my 10 yr old female but she is reacting much better. Just try and wait it out if you can. Do you have any mood tranquilizers? Sorry it's not fun ny b ut it is exhau
    I just typed an entire post and it disappeared! You are doing the right things. I had to supervise alot and when things got tense, did a "time out" like with kids. Separated them. But give all lots of love. It is exhausting but mine are finally accepting new kitten.You can write to me anytime. I was so tired all the time..but just try and wait it out.

Chloe2105 likes this.
  3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi @Chloe2105 and welcome :)

It's really not the best timing to be introducing a new kitten to the household when you are just about to have a baby! Kittens need a lot of human attention and interactive play at only 11 weeks old and I worry you won't have the time to give him what he needs, because your human baby will have to be your first priority, of course.

To make matters worse your older cat doesn't want to accept the kitten, so you are going to have to do separate them for now and go much more slowly with the introductions.

#3 chillminx, Aug 14, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    buffie, Gallifreyangirl and Chloe2105 like this.
  4. CalicoLove2019

CalicoLove2019 PetForums Junior

Hi Chloe, how are things? I wanted to let you know..the best thing i think i did was letting the kitten in the room with other cats ..supervised by me and when things got too wild or tense..i put kitten in her carrier, or took her to my room for awhile to give the others a break. No prolonged contact..it happens gradually and is exhausting , I know too well. It has been 3 months and finally, the hissing, swiping, and growling..are very very minimal, if at all. they are tolerating her and are actually getting friendly. It is a long process but esp if your kitten is small, petite, it can get hurt.Don't leave alone with otheer one , esp if you get nervous. And i have had to leave my kitten in my bedroom when i went to get supplies. I came home and she was napping. I bought a dog bed a while back with fleece in it. I put a baby blanket in it and the cats all loved. Now the kitten does. I put a little toy, a striped cat in with her, she ca wrestle with instead of my hands. I have always done this. Not an expert, but these are things that worked for me. Good luck.

Chloe2105 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice