Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Struggling to cope with latest news *Warning cancer related*

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ForestWomble, May 10, 2020.

1. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

I have a family member with cancer (my Gran), this year has not been kind to her cancer wise with having had a few ops already this year, found out this week that an op she'd had a few years ago hasn't worked, either all the cancer wasn't removed or its come back, anyway, she has to have a big operation at the end of this month and it's the biggest she's ever had, I don't want to say too much but we are scared as to the outcome.
    I am struggling with this latest news and while, obviously, there is no good time to get this news, its even harder right now.

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear this. As you say, it's really difficult times and it's not easy being able to see people face to face so they can discuss it with you, or even see them physically to make sure that they really are coping 'ok' with what is going on.

I know it's easier said than done, to not to worry. As you say you are struggling. So I know your anxiety will be sky high.

What I would try to do if it was me, which I would honestly find difficult but try to take one day at a time. The operation is in the future, albeit 3 weeks give or take if its the end of the month. Try and focus on a positive thing you do in a day, or see how many positives you can do. Which I know is extremely hard for you, but even if its just a positive thing of your gerbils making you smile, or Bungo learning a new trick. To give you something to focus on. I know you are really good at keep yourself entertained. Just trying to keep that anxiety, worry meter in check a little each day. Isn't easy I know but can give some perspective.

I wish you, your Gran and family well

Hugs and love to you
    xxxx

3. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

So sorry to hear this. As said above, try and focus on the positives - the main one is that in this time of ops being cancelled due to the virus, she will be having an op and hopefully this will have a positive outcome.

I don’t know how old your Nan is, but given the age difference between you and me, she’s probably close to my age. I’m due a major op next month (hopefully) to remove my lump and although I’m very scared about it, I’m convinced I’m going to survive and be cancer free.

MilleD, rona, kimthecat and 5 others like this.
  4. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

So sorry to hear about your gran. This is a horrible situation for your family but the current situation can make things even worse. If you need any information regarding what to do to help your gran or just to talk then I would definitely recommend contacting Macmillan, they have been such amazing support for me recently (my mum has terminal cancer)

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-information-and-support

5. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear this I don’t really have any advice as such but we are here to listen. Thinking of you x

ForestWomble and lullabydream like this.
  6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear this - it is very scary I know.

I definitely try to focus on the positives and the fact they’re wanting to operate suggests they are hopeful of a good outcome.

7. Dave S

Dave S Cosy Corner Collies

Forestwomble, as Boxer said, I have no words of advice for you, just my best wishes to you and your Gran.
    Use this thread as a sounding off thread if you wish, we are all here to listen.
    Best wishes to you both.

8. ForestWomble

Thank you Everyone.

I am trying to keep positive and trying not to think about things too much, I keep on repeating that there's a couple of weeks to go yet, I can panic then!

Thanks @Cleo38 for the link, I shall have a look.

Lurcherlad and kimthecat like this.
  9. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

So sorry to hear this. I’m sorry, I have no advice but I’m thinking of you and your family xx

kimthecat and ForestWomble like this.
  10. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

I hope all goes well for your Gran's op. [​IMG]

ForestWomble likes this.
  11. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

What a stressful time for you and your family. {{hug}}

kimthecat and ForestWomble like this.
  12. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

I am sorry to hear this. I have no advice to offer on top of what has been said, but just wanted to send you love from me and some licks from Holly xxx

ForestWomble likes this.
  13. MollySmith

MollySmith PetForums VIP

I am so sorry, I have nothing useful to add to the sensible advice already given and to say keep in touch. Take care x

ForestWomble likes this.
  14. ForestWomble

Thank you everyone.

#14 ForestWomble, May 11, 2020
    Last edited: May 11, 2020
  15. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

That’s exactly right. Although you’re allowed a wobble/blip.
    If they happen, go with it bearing in mind that when it’s done you’ll be back in positive mode again.
    Thinking of and your Gran.

16. ForestWomble

Operation happening this coming week.

I've been talking regularly to Gran on the phone, and while I'm glad she feels she can talk to me, I'm finding it really difficult, some of the things being said are understandable but really upsetting.

I found out today that the cancer is spreading, hense why this op needs to be done ASAP, after the op the main man Gran is seeing wants various tests to be done to make sure the cancer hasn't spread to any organs. Fingers crossed all organs will be clear.

17. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Hope all goes well

ForestWomble likes this.
  18. ForestWomble

Thank you.

19. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

I’m sure she will sail through and come out smiling at the other end. Hope she recovers well

20. ForestWomble

Thank you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice