Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Strong cat carrier recommendations and ultrasound advice

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by BunksMum, Oct 9, 2013.

1. BunksMum

BunksMum PetForums Member

Hi everyone,

My cat Bunk has been suffering from a urine infection for nearly two months now, it went away once but then came back a week after he came him off of his cystophan tablets. He has seen the vet about 4 times and this time they have recommended he has an ultrasound next week. He is an extremely nervous cat and it's near impossible to take him to the vets so we always pay extra to get the vet to come to our house but in this case he has to go there. We tried to get him to the vet on Monday night as we thought he could be blocked and it was an emergency but after 3 people trying for about 30 minutes to get him into his carrier, he actually busted out of it when we were walking to the car and ran back into the house! He busted the door at the front open and then when we got him back in it again, and taped over the door he busted through the tape and then he busted out of the top so the carrier is unusable now! We ende up having to explain to the vet, and he was good enough to come out and see us (for an extra £50!). It was a good quality one, plastic case with metal cage doors. We need a new one for next week now and I'm thinking as he loves getting inside bags, maybe one of those carriers that look like a holdall, as he may just walk into that on his own. But I'm concerned it won't be strong enough. Does anybody have any advice? We can't afford to spend loads of money on one :(

Also, I'm worried about the ultrasound. I'm worried that being shaved will terrify him! Do they always shave them, and does it bother them much? I don't really know much about them at all so anything anybody can tell me would be great. I'm not sure what they are looking for, as they already know he has crystals. When I asked they just said they will be looking for an underlying cause. I'm a bit worried!

Thanks

2. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

My girl had a ultrascan but this was to confirm pregnancy was going well, she also doesnt enjoy vets but they can give a calmer.
    Obviously it doesnt hurt them but my girl had to be shaved.

3. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

My Raggie had a scan done last year to try to find out why he was being sick,he did have quite a hair cut :eek: but they were checking most of his internal organs.

Sorry cant really advise with the carrier but I would look at a top opening one as they are much easier to get a reluctant cat in to.

Attached Files:

4. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

If you want a strong carrier, the wire cage type ones are best. If you google wire cat carrier, you'll get loads of them. If your vet's nice, they might even lend you one, as most surgeries have them.

5. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

A wire top-loading carrier is best by far. I have one that's nearly 20 years old, and there's no way a cat can get out of it.

6. gentoo1980

gentoo1980 PetForums Member

A trap transfer basket sounds best thing for your cats. It's the same thing as the wire cat carriers but because it's designed for ferrel cats they open at the top and also at the sides.

It's also been desinged that if dropped the doors can't break open. This is where I bought mine.

Trap Transfer Restrainer

If you're going to buy one make cure you purchase a 236-354H - Trap Transfer Basket NOT the 236-354 - Trap Transfer Restrainer, that's a different thing. It's a good size too.

7. gentoo1980

My cat used to have crystals, what food is he on?

8. BunksMum

Thanks everyone, I'll look into a cage carrier for sure!

He's eating royal canin urinary so. The wet version. What was your cat eating and how long for? Are his/her crystals gone now?

9. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

Was it the Atlas carrier you had?
    Mine fell apart earlier this year, the clips wouldn't stay closed and the bottom started to fall off.

I was thinking of getting one of the ones like a sports bag but not sure about the zip closures.

I would assume he will be sedated for the ultrasound so won't know about anything that is done. Have you tried spraying the carrier with Feliway about 20 minutes before putting him in?

#9 maisiecat, Oct 9, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  10. gentoo1980

Same as yours but I'd been giving him the dry version so it was dissolving the crystals but he was getting cystitus about 8 times a year. Realise now if I'd given him the RC wet then he wouldn't have had cysitus (or at leaste not as many times anways)

It started 9 years ago so can't quite remember, I think he'd be on RC urinary dry for 6 months? and would then go onto James well beloved dry but six to 12 month later would get crystals again so would go back on to RC dry again.

After four years like this I thought he had a blockage, vet said just a water infection and I was releived because I couldn't afford the RC Urinary and vet recommneded Kit-e-Kat wet food. Ignored him as been told so many different things from the vets so decided to try google for an answer but before I could he got a blockage so was cathiterised again.

As soon as he got home I changed his food to Kit-e-Kat wet and he was fine for 4 years. Had cystisus once but vet thought it could be stress related that time.

Haven't seen him for six month as he started starying on and off 2 years ago but I know no ones else is taking care of his vet bills as he's come back with quite server skin infections cause by cat bites bites/scrtaches. Unfortaunly after being grounded he hangs around for a week or two and then buggers off again. Will keep him in next time until I can hopfully rehome him. That's if he's still around.:(

His mum also had cysitus around 6-8 times a year and the Kit-e-Kat wet stopped all that. His brother was on dry and did fine though.

Sorry for long reply. Thought it might be useful.

Hopfully when he's off the RC you'll find a good quality wet food that will stop these crystals.

11. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

Yes they are always shaved on the abdomen as the ultrasound probe needs to have direct contact with the skin. With the right handling the shaving does not bother them - alarm them yes, but it does hurt. It's the noise not the sensation they don't like.

Ultrasound scanning a cat usually involves three people - the ultrasonographer who is operating the machine and two handlers to restrain the cat. The cat is gently turned to lie on it's side on a soft piece of vet bed (sprayed with Feliway + catnip) with one person handling the front and another restraining the back legs. The cat is then shaved and the scanning starts. The room is darkened and the cat gets plenty of fuss from the person handling the front. Depending on what they are looking for or find, you can expect each side of the cat to be scanned for 5-10 minutes - less is more with cats!

Not necessarily. Only a very small proportion of the cats we scan at my practice will be sedated. With the right handling, 90% of them can be safely scanned without sedation.

12. OrientalSlave

The other good top-opening carrier is the Pet Caddy, made by Savic. It's a top-opening plastic carrier with strong catches, and I was able to buy replacement hinges that have just arrived for mine which is almost 20 years old.

I wouldn't get a fabric carrier. You have to be sure to close the zip properly, at one end, and use a wire tie through the ends as I've seen a cat escape by pushing at a tiny gap with it's nose, and someone else has had the zip come away from the fabric.

The Pet Caddy is good if you have a pet who tends to be sick pee / poo in the car. They come in a couple of sizes, 55,00cm x 37,00cm x 33,00cm and 47,50cm x 33,00cm x 32,00cm. I have the smaller one but if I was buying again I'd get the larger one.

Put a layer of newspaper in the bottom of whatever carrier you get, with vetbed on top. And put the whole carrier on something waterproof!

PS someone I used to know had what was either a City Caddy or something very similar. She was a rather large woman, and she managed to know the catches walking and her cat got out. Luckily we got the cat back fairly easily. Avoid!

13. BunksMum

Thanks for the tips everyone, we are going to look at carriers in Pets At Home tonight as we need to go there for some litter anyway, and we are also getting a feliway diffuser to start using immediately ready for next week.

Labradrk, thanks for all of that information! I assumed he would be sedated because they told me he will be in for the whole day, from 8am to about 5pm. This seems a long time so I thought it was to wait for him to come round again. Or will he be waiting for his turn all day? He's terrified of other cats so I'm really worried! I think I need to ask my vet exactly what's going to be happening to him all day.

14. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

If they sedate as a matter of course, I wouldn't use them. As has been already said, it's not necessary, and in fact, any of mine who've been scanned have simply sat or laid on the table with me cuddling the front while the vet does the scanning. It was all very calm and nice and not stressful for them.

Don't buy a carrier from PaH. They won't have the wire ones, and it sounds like this is what you need.

15. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

If you are seeing a referral vet ultrasonographer, they will often have multiple patients to see during the day, some cases being more urgent than others. This and the fact that scanning takes much longer than your standard consult, it is custom to keep the patient as an inpatient for the day. It's to keep it pressure free for the vet as they don't have to rush between each patient and leave the owner(s) waiting for hours. It's also nicer for the cat to be waiting in it's own darkened kennel in a quiet cat ward with a bed, food and water than to be waiting in it's carrier in the busy reception. ;)

No good vet would ever sedate an animal for an ultrasound as standard. It's only done if the animal is extremely stressed and/or aggressive making it dangerous to handle. But with the right restraint, this is very rare.

16. Catloverbearsden

Catloverbearsden PetForums Member

Try a company called prestige wicker.co.uk who have a product called wicker pet carrier basket which is very sturdy and opens from the top. I used to have a terrible time trying to get my cats into traditional cat carriers and was very stressful for both me and my cats. You can put a furry blanket, etc in the bottom for them to lie on so happy cats......:)

17. OrientalSlave

Their baskets are beautiful and as you have found a top opening carrier is far easier, but personally I would avoid anything that's not easy to wash, which means anything not a wire or plastic carrier.

18. BunksMum

Those carriers are beautiful Catloverbearsden!

I have ordered a strong wire carrier from my vet and I'm collecting it tonight. Dreading trying to get him in it on Wednesday morning. Feliway will be plugged in from tonight and the new carrier will be left out for him to explore. I'm thinking of trying to back him into it before he realises what's happening, I also keep reading about a pillowcase trick which my fiance is keen to try. I'm worried this is cruel though! Basically trapping him in a pillowcase and putting the pillowcase into the carrier :eek:

19. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Has the vet explained what he's looking for with ultrasound? It's interesting you've mentioned the problem recurred when the Cystophan was discontinued. I've known some cats that were on a extended maintenance levels of other similar meds ie Cystease etc and in the end the problem resolved. Given he's such a stressy cat (his condition could well be exascerbated by this) in your position, I would discuss this first with your vet before exploring other options. With an older cat (though bladder cancer for example is rare) I would perhaps go ahead but in a younger one this would be my approach.

20. BunksMum

She said that it's probably not stress because it would've gone away by now! I think it might be though as the whole thing started around the time my fiance moved in and all of the furniture was rearranged, and also after a particularly stressful visit to the vet where he ended up not being able to breathe because he was so frightened :-( He is a very nervous cat.

I explained to the vet that he was fine until we ran out of cystophan and it was only about 2 days later that it came back and she didn't really say anything, just that she strongly recommends the ultrasound. She actually recommended one a couple of weeks ago and we decided not to go for it because he seemed to be getting better so now she's insisting on it as we apparently should've gone for one before. We had a different vet last time as it was an emergency call out and he also recommended it. He said that he can't stay on cystophan forever and we can decide on a plan of action after the ultrasound.

I'm not really sure what they are looking for though. I did ask but both of the vets that I spoke to were really vague. I haven't been too impressed with them at all really. I guess it's better to be safe than sorry.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice