Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Stroke advice

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by luvmyyorkies, Jan 13, 2008.

1. luvmyyorkies

luvmyyorkies PetForums Newbie

Hi, My 3yr old yorkie had a stroke on Sat. was wondering if anyone has any advice on treatment or care.:(

2. carol

carol PetForums VIP

oh hope he gets better and think it might depend on how bad a stroke like people

3. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

Thats very sad, so young, unfortunately i don't know anything about it, but I hope someone can help you.

4. Angel

Angel PetForums Senior

That must have been awful fo you.

I cant offer any advice but hope he is better soon. :D

Please let us know how he is.......

5. nici

nici PetForums Senior

sorry to here that,,, i to have no experiance with strokes :( best thing is just take all the advice from the vets that they can give you..sorry:(

6. tan

tan PetForums Junior

:(That's so sad,but if it's any help,my mum's shih-tzu had a stroke a few years ago.As he got older,they became more frequent but the vet managed to control them with medication and the little chap lived until he was thirteen!There is so much that can be done these days without your dog losing it's quality of life.Best of luck hope this helps :)

7. BredaKim

BredaKim PetForums Member

luvmyyorkies, aww such a shame,hope all turns out ok:eek:

8. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

sorry to hear about your little one, hope she gets better soon

9. luvmyyorkies

luvmyyorkies PetForums Newbie

Just wanted to thank everyone for thier good wishes. When Hailey 1st had her stroke she was unable to use either one of her legs on her left side, she has had some improvement and is able to use her back leg, but still no improvement with her front leg. She does have nerve spasms in that leg so hopefully that is a good sign. Thanks again for your good wishes.

10. Debbie

Debbie PetForums VIP

I hope she continues to recover - I have no advise to give - Have you asked every question under the sun of your vet?? I would get as much advise as you can from your vets - it may take a while but hopefully little by little she will make a healthy recovery.

11. Broxdown

Broxdown PetForums Junior

Sorry to hear your young dog has suffered a stroke. Many years ago I had a Golden Retriever who suffered a stroke at around 11 years of age. With plenty of rest he started to use his legs again and although he tended to walk a bit 'crablike' for a short while, he did eventually manage to straighten up and lead an active life until at 16 he suffered another one so I thought it far kinder to have him PTS.

12. Fingers crossed - and speedy recovery!

13. Pamnhols

Pamnhols PetForums Newbie

Hi, I have a little dog that had a stroke, was paralysed down left side to start with and used to drag her left feet, but I gave her very gentle physio, Just flexing her paws and legs and massaging her gently and within a week she was running about again, she has quite a wonkey unbalanced walk now, but doesnt drag her limbs at all, as is only wobbly because she tries to run flat out everywhere.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice