Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Stressful behaviour

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Jaime Moran-Wilson, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Jaime Moran-Wilson

Jaime Moran-Wilson PetForums Newbie

My 2 queens are causing a lot of stress in my house at the minute.
    I rehomed a 4 month kitten (sophia) and 20 month cat (lucy) in Dec '16.

Sophia came first, we had her 2 weeks before Lucy arrived.

Lucy was incredibly timid and lived behind the sofa for the first few days we had her, eventually, following some of Jackson Galaxy's tips, her and Sophia became friends, playing, eating and sleeping together, it was such a relief!! We have had about 6 weeks of that friendly behaviour.

On Friday, something has gone a miss and now my 2 queens hate each other, hissing, growling and very upsetting, violent fighting.
    It appears to be Lucy attacking Sophia, I can't work out for the life of me why this has happened.

They have both been neutered.

I have now separated them, which they have been since fri.

I have bought the feliaway plug ins, today they ate their meals in the same room but different ends, I thought this might be a corner turned however, we just tried to bring them together for play time with toys, but lucy badly attacked Sophia again, Sophia is now in hiding on top of our kitchen units.

I'm finding this all really stressful..don't know what to do..

Jaime

Attached Files:

2. SpringDance

SpringDance PetForums VIP

Queens?

Get them neutered if they are not, otherwise hormones might be coming into play.

3. Jaime Moran-Wilson

Sorry, I forgot to mention, they have both been neutered.
    Both queens

SpringDance likes this.
  4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Jaime Moran-Wilson - hi :)

Had one of your cats just been to the vet immediately prior to them falling out? A cat who has been to the vet will have picked up strange scents on her paws and fur and this can cause a feline housemate to be wary and even reject their pal. This happened to my two girls after one had been to the vet. Normally they are the best of pals.

Or, if they are outdoor cats, one cat could have picked up the scent of a strange cat on their paws and brought it home.

Another possibility is that one cat feels unwell and doesn't smell the same as usual to the other cat (scent is affected by health). Or one feels unwell and has attacked the other one because she wants to be left alone. Have you noticed anything unusual e.g. change in one cat's litter tray habits, (e.g. diarrhoea or possible cystitis) or being off her food ?

I would keep them separate for the present. Have you some powdered cat nip you can rub their fur with so they both smell the same to each other? Or even some baby wipes you can wipe over them both.

You may need to keep them apart for a couple of days and then reintroduce them gradually under your supervision. I am sure they will be OK again soon.

SpringDance likes this.
  5. Jaime Moran-Wilson

6. Jaime Moran-Wilson

Hi, thank you for getting in touch.

No, neither had been to the vets.

The only change we can think of is that they have both just recently started going outside after their injections, so they are still a little nervous. A stray cat appeared in the garden causing stress and popped its head through our cat flap, it was also chased out our kitchen on Sunday night! (We have since got a flap which the cats needs magnets to get in the house, so the stray won't be back in the house).

Both cats are spayed, we have feliaway plug ins and tried a 'spot on' calming solution.
    This has been going on since fri now, which is real upsetting as they were friends before this happened.

Lucy (our eldest cat who appears to be the problem, the cat starting the fighting) is going to the vets in the morning to get her checked over.

I have wiped them both with towels and put the towels by their individual feeding bowls, haven't tied the cat nip out yet.

It's causing not only the cats to be separate but my partner and I too as we are each sitting with a cat so one doesn't feel punished..so one of us in the kitchen and the other in the lounge!

We lost 2 cats in Dec which was very upsetting after having them 15years, we re-homed Sophia and Lucy as the house was unbearable without pets, they brought happiness back into our home..now after 6 weeks or so of being so pleased we got them and them being pals, we have this very stressful, odd behaviour

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice