Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Stressed moggy

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by dottylottie27, Jun 2, 2010.

1. dottylottie27

dottylottie27 PetForums Junior

Hi everyone,

i have three cats, two of them go out fine. However my other one, Tilly, is absolutely petrified of going out, to the point where she shakes if I even show her the door.

She has started peeing in a certain spot in the house and I can't seem to deter her from doing it. It smells horrible and my OH is seriously stressing out with her!

If i am in the garden with her then she is fine, but as i work full time i cant be there all the time!

I just feel so sorry for her because she cant enjoy being outside. It sounds like she has some kind of feline agoraphobia.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks
    Lottie :D

2. NEW2CATS

NEW2CATS PetForums VIP

sounds like she wants to be an indoors cat - I would get her a litter tray as she seems to dislike toileting outside too

3. The Twins

The Twins PetForums Senior

Ok - re the spot where she keeps weeing, what have you used to clean it? You must use something with biological detergent in it and nothing with amonia (ie bleech) as otherwise it wont kill the smell (amonia/bleach makes this worse)... so use some bio washing powder/liquid - may have to repeat it several times. I'd also put a litter tray on that spot just in case - better she goes in a tray than on the carpet IMO! :p

Re agoraphobia - i know someone who had a cat with this, so it does exist. Is there any reason you want to make her go outside? If she is happy indoors whilst you are not there, I'd let her do that. And just let her go outside when she wants to with you. Many many cats enjoy home comforts and dont go outside and if she is stressed to the point of shaking then i wouldnt force her outside. Bless her - hope it gets sorted, it sounds as if something has majorly spooked her!

4. dottylottie27

dottylottie27 PetForums Junior

thanks for your replies everyone. I will get some bio washing stuff for the carpet.

Yes, i think she will have to be an indoor cat. Such a shame as she used to love going outside at the other house (before we moved)

I think she has turned into the stresshead that she is because she ran off last September and returned after two days. I dont know what happened to her whilst she was awol but since then she is a nervous wreck.

She does have a litter tray, just seems to prefer doing her 'business' on the carpet...!! :mad::mad::mad:

Thanks again :thumbup:

5. coco-flo

coco-flo PetForums Junior

i would let her be an indoor cat, mine are indoor cats and they are fine, we let them out in the garden when we are out in the garden. Out door life does not suit every cat.

6. Janee

Janee PetForums VIP

I would try Feliway plugin.

Why? My neutered adopted male showed a lot of stress symptoms: he would kick his chest with his back legs; he wee'd in inappropriate spots (the front door mat); he hardly ever purred.

I decided that after 9 months of this I had to do something radical. I bought Feliway plugin which lasts for a month and acts like an air freshener but spreading cat phemones (sp?) which humans cannot detect. I also bought cat attract litter and mixed this with normal Cats Best litter. I made sure the places he wee'd on were covered by plastic, a towel (easily washed) and a litter tray.

We have broken the habit and have a much less stressed catwho purrs normally and wees in the litter. It took about 10 months. I stopped buying the Feliway plugin about 3 months ago and all is fine (multicat household).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice