Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Stressed - Chihuahua help needed!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Smeva, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Smeva

Smeva PetForums Newbie

Hi All,

I hope you can help, due to work commitments and travel I'm having to think about rehoming my pooch which I really do not want to do!

I got the dog with my partner in Feb last year when he was 8 months old, since then my partner and I have split up and my job has moved to the city, which means I have to leave the dog from 7am until 6.30/7.30 pm most days, I also have to go out in the evenings to entertain my customers, which means I come in...cuddles...and I'm out again - weekdays are rushed.

My 9 year old spends alternative weekends with me here and we do stuff with him but other times during the weekends I also have to pop out here and there and feel this enormous guilt everytime i leave him home.

I love this dog to bits and he is a huge part of my life but I dont know whats good for him, he is full of love for us but he spends time looking out the window and wants to always go out. its heart breaking. This is my first dog to I'm not sure how to deal with this emotionally.. are all dogs like this or is he really miserable living with me.

I dont want to give him away but with everything going on in my life I just dont know how to give him the time..

so my questions are:-
    Is it ok to leave him alone for long periods of time?
    Is he better off with people who are there during the day?
    Do all dogs want to be out all the time?
    Should i get him a buddy and then is it ok to leave them both together for a long time during the day?
    Dog share, is that a bad idea?

I just dont know what to do, therefore some help and advise would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you
    Smeva

2. redroses2106

redroses2106 PetForums VIP

Is it ok to leave him alone for long periods of time?
    some dogs can cope some cant, but i think 12 hours is far to long for any dog

Is he better off with people who are there during the day?
    not neccessarily, but it would probably be better if he wasnt left alone so much of the time tbh

Do all dogs want to be out all the time?
    nope not all the time but most dogs do like at least a walk a day although some hate the rain, cold, wind, snow just like people but you should really aim to get an hours play/walk in, even if its a game of fetch in the garden and a short walk on busy days, you can also keep entertained with stuffed kongs and other toys where they have to find the treat when you are ouy but again this wont last 12 hours

Should i get him a buddy and then is it ok to leave them both together for a long time during the day?
    no definatly NOT this is a terrible idea, then you will have TWO dogs you dont have time for, and wouldnt be fair.

Dog share, is that a bad idea?
    im not sure what you mean by dog share but my suggestion would be that finding a good friend or neighbour who could look after your dog, or pop in and give him a toilet break and some attention whilst at work would be a good idea, perhaps you have an retired or unemployed friend or neighbour you trust you could ask them to look after the dog whilst you are at work and offer them a little bit of money for it if you can afford to, if you cant hopefully someone will be kind enough to do it for you anyway.
    another option is dog walkers and doggy day care, see if you have one in your area that you could take the dog to whilst your at work, this way the dog will have company and wont have to be left alone all day

3. shirleystarr

shirleystarr PetForums VIP

can you ask someone you trust to walk him and sit with him a while
    12 hours is much too long for him to be on his own

4. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

It really does not sound as though you have time or inclination to own a dog. I dont want to be nasty ,but if you enjoy a pet for company the odd time you are home why not get a cat and find someone to take on your dog. It is no way to keep a dog. He should be having 2 good walks a day and not be left for more than a normal days work so long as you are home in the evenings and weekends to give him plenty of time.
    I am sorry that your life has changed round, but its a young dog and not fair to keep it like that.

5. Dogsbody53

Dogsbody53 PetForums Member

I agree with Redroses answers & can only think to add that if you do decide to find him a better home that can provide him with 14 yrs of love & everything else he needs, please be careful & consider talking to someone from Chihuahua Rescue.

6. redroses2106

redroses2106 PetForums VIP

yes that is a very good point, if you decide you cant put arrangements in place and decide rehoming is your only option then please please do not advertise on gumtree, preloved or any of those sites, any numpty could come along and you never know what kind of home the dog will go to breed rescue is the only way to rehome and know your dog will have the best chance

7. Werehorse

Werehorse PetForums VIP

Is there no way you could take him to work with you? Chihuahua's are quite portable after all. I do think that they are the kind of dog that really thrive on company and 12 hours a day most days is too long to leave a dog (and I'm pretty relaxed about leaving them for long periods generally).

I guess it depends on what kind of work you do but dogs can be fantastic ice-breakers in customer focussed roles and he could even be an asset to you?

ETA: Otherwise I agree with others - breed rescue could be the way to go. Or private rescue to someone you trust - not any old numpty who answers a gumtree/preloved advert.

8. Smeva

Smeva PetForums Newbie

Thanks for all the advice, which is sort of helping with the decision making process.

I can assure you this is not at all easy, Im not just dealing with my emotions but I also have a 9yr old who is heart broken. Trying to make the right decision for the dog right now and as much as I'm trying to convince myself that I am giving him enough love and attention when I do get the time (lots of cuddles and kisses and he snuggles in bed at night).. I have to think about the next 14 years and can I do it consistently for the rest of his life or will there be more changes later on which will make it tougher.

Im on my own here, i have no local friends and family - so not sure who I could ask. There is a dog walker i use who is police checked etc etc, but she charges £15 for a half an hour visit.. that very costly if I were to use her 5 days a week.

He is an angel and i didn't realise how attached you can get to an animal, its almost like giving up my own child.

I shall continue to explore my option and then do whats best for him.
    Some pics attached so you understand how difficult it is to part with a toy like hime, he is precious.

Smeva x

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      58 KB
      Views:
    • charlie1.jpg
      charlie1.jpg
      File size:
      10.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      52.9 KB
      Views:
  9. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

OMG how cute is he?

Have you spoken to his breeder at all? They may be able to assist in rehoming him if it comes to that.

10. troublestrouble

troublestrouble PetForums Senior

i'd look for another dog walker/sitter in the meantime while you are deciding, that sounds incredibly expensive and if there is a dog walker who has lots of small dogs to come get him twice a day for an hour each that would make a huge difference

i don;t know how much they are round here (south london) but they all have keys to pick the dogs up and are out for a good long time each, ask around where you walk him at the weekends, there will be lots of people who have a dog walker during the week

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice