Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Stressed cat

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Lisa12, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Lisa12

Lisa12 PetForums Junior

I took my cat Eskimo to the vet today and he has cystitis caused I think from stress as I worked away last week. He has meds and everything is fine at home so I'm sure he will be fine in a couple of days.

My concern is I may have to be away again in June and August. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips to stop this happening again in the future? Would a plug in help for example before I leave?

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi @Lisa12, I am sorry to hear about your cat being unwell.

Some cats can find it hard to adjust to suddenly being on their own for long periods and may become very anxious as a result.

When you go away what arrangements do you make for your cat? Do you have a professional cat sitter coming in twice a day to feed him and empty litter trays? If so it may be better to consider having someone live in your house all the time while you are away. There are organisations who can arrange this, one of whom is in partnership with Cats Protection:

https://www.cats.org.uk/shop/shop-with-our-partners/trustedhousesitters

One of my previous cat owning neighbours used to use live in house sitters for years when she went on holiday. She was always very happy with them, found them very reliable.

If you don't want a live-in house sitter then your cat may be better off in a cattery, but you would need to book now as it will be the height of the holiday season in June and August. Ask on your local social media groups (Facebook and 'Nextdoor') for recommendations, and also ask at your vets.

For any cat who has had bladder issues such as cystitis a 100% wet food diet is key. Feed a good quality wet food that is high in meat protein (not vegetable protein as in some foods such as Felix and Whiskas). Meat keeps the urinary tract acidic as it should be.

You can also add a supplement which will soothe his bladder and protect the lining of the bladder. Either Cystaid Plus or Cystease (both have a similar action).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cystaid-Pl...866&s=gateway&sprefix=Cystaid+,aps,128&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=cystea...L&sprefix=cystease,aps,128&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_8

3. Lisa12

Lisa12 PetForums Junior

Thankyou for your advice. I was only gone 4 days this time and I've left him before but this time must of bothered him more.

When I'm away I leave him home with my other cat and I use a petsitter who comes twice a day to check on them and my rabbit but he only stays maybe 15 mins a time. My rabbit was also with my friend this time as has been on antibiotics and thought it was easier. But the rabbit has stayed with friends in the past also.

I never looked into anyone staying before as my other cat is nervous with other people, unlike Eskimo but I will look at the place you suggested. They hated a cattery when I moved house too so might be best option.

Are there any supplements you can recommend as they can be picky with food too and I prefer to get one they both eat.

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Lisa12

One of my neighbours uses a drop-in cat sitter who comes twice a day to feed her cats when she is away. But my neighbour also gives sets of house keys to two of her friends who live fairly nearby and the friends take it in turn to come to her house every day and spend a couple of hours with her cats. The cats have gotten to know the friends over time and so they are not nervous of them.

Another alternative might be to pay the drop-in sitter for longer visits, say an hour at a time, so there is time for her to play with the cats, interact with them more. if your current sitter doesn't have the time for a longer visit, maybe try another sitter?

It also might reassure you to see what the cats are doing while you are away, e.g you may find they are sleeping a lot anyway. So you could install a cat CCTV system such as Pet Cube;

https://petcube.com/en-gb/

if you book the sitter for extra time the Pet Cube would also enable you to check how long she spends at your home each visit. ;)

I am unsure what kind of supplements you would like recommended? Do you mean something enticing to put on wet food as a topper? if so I recommend the freeze dried pure protein treats made by Thrive (from Pets at Home) or Cosma Snackies from Zooplus. These can be crumbled on top of food and most cats love them. You only need one at a time on each meal.

https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/searchterm?searchTerm=Thrive treats for cats&pageSize=9

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_treats_catnip/cosma_cat_snacks

5. Lisa12

Lisa12 PetForums Junior

Yes I use 2 different sitters anyway so I guess I will look into who can stay the longest. They usually go out during the day anyway so even a longer visit once a day might help.

I will try those, something I can put on food will always be easier.

Thankyou!

chillminx likes this.
  6. kittykat555

kittykat555 PetForums Newbie

Hello. I use Cystease with one of mine. It comes as a small capsule which you can put in their mouth but my cat would be traumatised if I tried to do that every day! What I do is 'unscrew' the capsule (it's made in 2 parts) and sprinkle the powder on wet food and stir it in. She has it every other day and always eats it. I don't think it has any smell / taste to it so she doesn't notice it. It was recommended by my vet but it does need to be used over a longer time - it's not a quick fix, so you'd probably need to start using it several weeks before you go away. Hope this is helpful.

7. Lisa12

Lisa12 PetForums Junior

Yes that is great thankyou. It has never affected him before but I don't want him to get it again, especially with me going longer next time

8. chiarat

chiarat PetForums Newbie

Hi Lisa12 , I’d like to share my experience with Zylkene ... it relaxed my cat to the point she was sleeping much more then usual... this happened also with Feliway ... it could be just my cat reaction but maybe it’s worth trying...

9. Lisa12

Lisa12 PetForums Junior

That's great to know. Thank you. I think I'm away in a few weeks so I need to sort something out soon. I will have a look into that too

chiarat likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice