Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Stressed Cat

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Lucas1233, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Lucas1233

Lucas1233 PetForums Newbie

Hi guys,

My friend's grandmother has a cat and she has recently been evicted from her house so she had to move into a 3rd floor flat. She has taken the cat with her. She has been there about 2 months now.

The cat is used to going outdoors as it's lifetime has been in the old house where she was roaming and she'd come back for sleep and food.
    Now she is in the flat she is always hiding behind the TV and cries night after night to go outside.

She won't let it out now because It wont come back :/

She is wondering if Re-Homing it is her only choice ?
    Regards,
    Luke

2. honeysmummy

honeysmummy PetForums VIP

Hi...what a crappy situation for your friends grandmother to be in.
    She obviously wants whats best for her cat but rehoming when she is all the cat can ever probably remember is not a nice option either.

I would really hope that someone who has more experience with cats maybe who used to be outdoor and now indoor would come along soon.

All i can suggest is a feliway plug in..to hopefully calm her cat down.

Sorry i couldnt be more help :eek:

3. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

What a shame for the cat & owner :( I'd try a Feliway to help with the stress from moveing & plenty of toys, a cat tree if she does'nt already have one. Cats do addapt very well as long as they have something to keep them occupied :)

4. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

My mum had that problem with Sooty, he has been an outdoor cat, and I moved here from Sweden to start a new life with the aim to bring him over. In the meanwhile, she moved to a flat where there was no possibility for him to go out.
    He howled for months and simply was not happy. It really wasn't working out. We have since brought him over to the UK and he is a happy boy now as he runs around in the garden. I think that some cats simply won't just calm down, as it has been in their nature for so long.

I don't mind cats being kept indoors if they have never known otherwise, I'm not to keen if they have been outdoor cats for years and suddenly confining them to the indoors, I really don't think it makes for a happy, well-balanced cat.

Sorry :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice