Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

stress

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by minizoo, Jul 19, 2009.

1. minizoo

minizoo PetForums Junior

i moved into this house a year ago. there are dogs all around, 2 springers on one side and a small spaniel on the other. my dogs have always been sociable and wont bark unless everyone else starts barking.
    Anyway the wee spaniel to one side has taken to running up and down fence(7ft doubled fence with no way of even seeing each other_) barking and growling at my old jack russell. At first Holly totally ignored her and took no notice but as its gone on and on and on she's now getting pretty stressed at it all and refusing to even go outside. she also started to lose hair in patches.

the owners will call her when she starts but she totally ignores them and now as soon as they open the door she comes bounding out snarling and barking.

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Have you had a word with yout neighbours?

Maybe explain to them the situation, and how its affecting your dog.

You could try some rescue remedy.

3. minizoo

minizoo PetForums Junior

have spoken to them a few times but to be honest its a first time pet and a bit spoilt and when she does it they call her and if she ignores they leave it.
    its worse now too because my dog is doing it back and so it continues, however i only have to say holly's name and she backs off and comes back but the spaniel starts again...rescue rememdey is an idea but it doesnt remove the situation..i also suggested we take them far away to a park or the beach and let them actually meet(something they never wanted to happen) but they think they will fight..i dont think they will alt all as Holly is very patient and even if it started she doesnt fight back

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Im not sure what you can do, as the problem lies with them.

They need to keep their dog shut in, rather than let it go rampaging down the garden.

You could get the council involved (noise nuisance if the dog is constantly barking) but that can be a rocky road to go down.

Until the problem is removed/resolved, then all you can do is support your dog, and minimise the stress

Meeting could be worth a try. Dont let them meet face to face, but lead walk them next to each other, gradually bringing them closer and closer.

5. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

Oh that is awfull for your dog, the neighbours should be keeping an eye (ear) open for their dog barking all the time and do something, it should be left to you all the time, it isnt fair on your dog. Have a word with them again and explain the effect it is having on your dog now. Or listen out for that other dog and fill a water pistol up with water and lemon juice and squirt the other dog with it through any little hole in your fence, its get a shock from the water and dont like the taste of the lemon juice, it dont hurt the other dog so your not being cruel, keep doing it for as long as you can keep it up This is what I would try anyways it is worth a try. good luck. xxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice