Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Stress to come

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MerlinsMum, May 28, 2010.

1. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Aaaaargh just had the letting agents on the phone - why haven't I given my keys back today?

"Because I have nowhere to go."
    "Oh you should have told us you had decided to stay."
    "I haven't decided to stay, I just have nowhere else to go."
    "Didn't you think about calling us to let us know?"
    "No." [Didn't occur to me at all!!!!!!! and nobody else advised it]
    "You should have done out of courtesy to the landlady, she has people booked to go in next week"
    "What, to live here? With this place so bad?!!"
    "I meant, to start work refurbishing it"
    "You mean the repair work that should have been done a year ago?"
    "Well it would have been courtesy."
    "Courtesy went out of the window ages ago when she started turning up here unannounced with no prior arrangement and sending workmen round with less than 12hrs notice that didn't do the work."
    "Oh I see, I'll tell her you've decided to stay."
    "No I haven't decided! I can't get anywhere else as I have no money for deposit for anywhere else and nobody has told me IF or WHEN I might get the deposit back for here."
    "Oh you won't get it back now if she was to take you to court."
    "Nobody's told me if I was going to get it back at all!!!! The council phoned you about it on my behalf weeks ago."
    "We have no record of that."
    (Surprise! they are a useless agency).

I bet the landlady marches round here tomorrow. Sadly she has a key. I don't want an argument so I will not open the door, I don't know what else to do!!!! Chances are if the dog is here she won't dare just come in.

2. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

If she have your bond and you have done no damage what so ever then you are entitled to your bond back. It must be awfull not being able to find affordable accomodation, can you not go to your council now and tell them you need housing from them and explaine your situation, they may be able to help you out someway, I would also go into the CAB . Good Luck xxx

3. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

That's the problem - she is very likely to keep the deposit as she claims I have done damage... long story. And she can, legally, as the new law about not keeping deposits came in AFTER my tenancy started here 6.5 years ago.

I've already been to the council and they didn't have much advice for me, as I'm not old enough, mad enough, sick enough, & have no kids, to qualify for council housing.

I won't qualify for any kind of loan either being on benefits, so I'm pretty much stuck.

4. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

out of interest, did they give you written notice to leave, and how much?

5. xxwelshcrazyxx

OH bless you, I dont know what else I can suggest to you, surely the council have flats they could offer you?? I suppose you would have to be made homeless and then go into a hostel until a flat came up. what a bugger with the bond. I hope you find something soon. xxxxxx

6. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Yes they did - two months, which is all legal and above board. But I have spent that time trying and failing to find out how I could raise money, and realising that I can't even try looking for a property to rent without money in my hands up front, even if I could find somewhere willing to take DSS and a dog (cat too, but I haven't mentioned her yet!).

I kind of spent the first few weeks in denial really, as well - it's not doing my health issues any good at all.

7. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Ok, i'm not sure if the law has changed, but i thought they had to give you written notice and then if you couldn't find anywhere else you could apply to the court for extra time.Have you been to the council and explained you have nowhere to live? My understanding was, nobody could be thrown on the streets.Trying to keep up with all these damn rules is so hard.

8. nic101

nic101 PetForums VIP

what a situation :(

can you conviniently not mention the dog to any new places you goto??

i know its a chance but needs must n all that?

9. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

I don't know about that, the council didn't suggest it and the girl from the agency on the phone certainly didn't!

Yes I have - and very sadly, YES THEY CAN BE. There would be a lot fewer people in cardboard boxes if that was really the case, Janice :(

10. bullet

bullet PetForums VIP

I think technicaly if mm doesn't hand the keys back and they force her out, the council has a duty to rehome her as she was made homeless............i think. I think a letter from cab to the agents would be best for getting the deposit back, especially if there has been problems on the scale that mm has said about, she should be getting compensation. Good luck MM

11. xxwelshcrazyxx

That is right, she isnt intentially homeless, she is being made homeless. CAB is the place to go to see what can be done......it come up with some information for you.

12. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I'm so sorry MM. What a horrible situation to be in, the last few months seem to of gone by far to quickly.
    I'm sure you'd get emergency housing - but that tends to be B&B so probably wouldn't take the animals.:(
    Have you been to the CAB and actually been down to the council and sat down face to face with someone?
    I really hope with a bit of advice you can find somewhere.

13. Fleur

Just found this
    Homelessness : Directgov - Home and community

Get down the CAB asap and get some advice

14. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

You can legally stay there for ages yet, But if she has a set of keys it would be difficult as she can take reposession by just opening the door.

If your notice is over you now have squatters rights as such (which is more the tennants right go figure!)

she will have to go to court to get you removed, this can take a few months, then she has to prove why she wants you out .i.e no payment of rent e.t.c

we were told this can take upto 12months depending on why she wants you out and if its deemed a good reason apparently

Are you on the council list have they upgraded your band? They will also have lists of non deposit places and plces that take housing benefit aswell.

15. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Not true Bullet - sadly I am NOT ENTITLED TO ANY HELP WITH HOUSING FROM THE COUNCIL AT ALL. Sorry for the caps - but I have checked this out thoroughly!!

I am not sick enough (although long term sick); mad enough (despite being on meds) or old enough and have NO kids.

16. bullet

bullet PetForums VIP

Last resort, tell them you're addicted to pf, that should do it:) seriously though i'm so sorry for you, i really do hope you get some good luck soon

17. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Thankfully someone sent me a link to Shelter's website and I have thoroughly read up on my rights! She CANNOT come in until she gets a possession order from the courts. It does mean I may be able to ask for more time.

Shelter England - Eviction of assured shorthold tenants

This is psrtly true, although she is seeking possesion under Sec 21 which is end of tenancy period so she doesn't have to give any reasons - she is entitled to get the place back. But as I have not gone, she will have to go to court. I have been advised this can take 2 months and I may be able to ask for more time due to hardship.

Have that list - it's incredibly short - ONE place in a city of 200,000 people takes non-deposit. But they ask for guarantors etc. and I very much doubt they will allow my dog. The rest need huge deposits, plus admin fees, plus guarantors.

I do NOT qualify at all for council housing... End Of.

Right now I am more worried about the fact the landlady is almost certainly going to turn up unannounced in the next few days. She has a key - although actually she has no legal right to have one and even less to use it except in an emergency. I have already reported her to the cpouncil for harassment and she still seems to think the rules don't apply to her - over the last 18 months she's done all of the following (taken from Shelter's site):
    * visiting your home regularly without warning
    * sending builders round without notice
    * allowing your home to get into such a bad state of repair that it's dangerous for you to stay
    * beginning disruptive repair works and not finishing them

I am still entitled to change the lock (can't do that til next week though) which would really give me peace of mind. I did report all the above to the council earlier this year so if she does come round I'll inform them. I will do all I can to avoid a confrontation with her, as there won't be any witnesses and TBH my nerves just won't stand it. Just got to wait til Tuesday and go see the council again.... too bad it's a Bank Holiday, have to stay here not going out in case she tries to let herself in.

Sorry I had a bad day anyway illness-wise, and went into total shaky scared panic mode after the phone call.

I've been here 6.5 years - it's all a bit too much really.

18. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Dreadfully underfunded CAB here hun, just like most places. Can never get through on the phone and can wait days to get an appt. Will be straight down the council offices Tuesday morning though to see their Private Tenant Advisors..... again! (Have already been to see them).

19. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

thats rubbish isnt it :(

Our council is rubbish but thankfully theres no a few companies that are doing low earner housing but this is really really new.

Hope you can find a solution a.s.a.p

20. Fleur

I know - I spent all day trying to ring my local CAB kept getting a recorded message "we are unable to answer the phone at the moment please ring back later" I gave up and drove down to them and they said they don't actually answer the phone they only deal with people who come in.
    They gave me some advice there and then - no more than I could of done on google - and made me an appointment for 2 weeks time.
    It might be worth going to see them so at least the appointment is set up, it'll stop any delays.
    Hopefully the Private Tenant Advisors can help, now it's urgent they may take some action.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice