Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Stress/anxiety help

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by XxZoexX, Jan 26, 2012.

1. XxZoexX

XxZoexX PetForums VIP

Hi guys im hoping you can help me :eek:

Bare with me i dont often do "personal"

My eldest is currently doing her exams and is stressing ALOT to the point where shes shaking and not sleeping :(

Quick background info

The school contacted me today to pick her up after her exam as they thought she'd been self harming as she had blood on her arm (something she used to do after being bullied)
    Now luckily it turned out she had just caught it and her old scars werr more pronounced due to the cold, but she has opened up and explained shes not coping with the stress very well.. and has thought about it.
    shes very much like me in that she overthinks stuff so much that she lays awake worrying and is finding it very hard to switch off.

I know there is a few on here ive seen post about anxiety/stress and theres a few young-uns that may have been through the same.
    I Just wondered if you have any tips to help calm her down when needed :(

Im planning on running her a nice lavender bath tonight maybe some warm milk to help her sleep but im stuck after that :(

Just to add ive contacted the local teen counciler service and theres a 16 week wait although they have an in school one that she has seen before it would mean her missing some of her school lesson which she really doesnt want to do.

2. AmberNero

AmberNero PetForums VIP

aromatherapy and massage do help- poor girl :( Bachs rescue remedy is good for short term alleviation. Tapping pressure points on the body can help short term- but it mght be worth consulting with the doctor as to meds which might help- preferably natural ones because of her age of course.

I hope the bath helps her. Big hugs to her xxxxx

XxZoexX likes this.
  3. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

:( bless her how old is she ?

The only things i can think of that might help would maybe be exercise something like Zumba that's fun so she's physical exhausted when it comes to bed time and it also releases happy endorphin's, a good diet so less sugar highs and lows.

Not looking forward to my daughter reaching this age :(

XxZoexX likes this.
  4. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

aw thats terrible for you both, I havent a clue, but hopefully you can get her the help she needs xxx

XxZoexX likes this.
  5. Space Chick

Space Chick PetForums VIP

Bach rescue remedy got me through exams. I also had a roll on aromatherapy thing from Boots for stress relief.

Not sure on the scientific effectiveness, but even if it was a placebo type effect it helped me.

XxZoexX likes this.
  6. XxZoexX

XxZoexX PetForums VIP

Shes 15 :(
    Shes so smart and once shes done the exams like the one today she said it was a breeze but shes putting alot of pressure on herself.
    Never thought of the exersise suppose i could get her on the wii.. Im thinking of taking her for dinner on saturday while t'other ones swimming, and were going to go for a nice walk in the hills with Jack on sunday as she loves exploring.
    I try and watch her sugar intake and they eat healthy at home but obviously cant be sure when shes out with her friends.

Thanks for the suggestions ill make some notes when im home xx

7. XxZoexX

XxZoexX PetForums VIP

Crossposted.. Thanks hun. Ill make sure of it ;) Even if i have to be at the docs daily :lol:

Bach rescue remedy.. thanks ill google that later xx

8. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

Can't really offer much advice Zoe just a hug ((hug))...

I'm sure... just some mum and daughter time will be lovely , at least while your walking she may open up even more and all this helps x

XxZoexX likes this.
  9. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

What about telling her she isnt expected to ace them, just to give her best, seems she is fearful of failure maybe.

10. XxZoexX

XxZoexX PetForums VIP

Thanks hun, Heres hoping. Shes always found it hard to open up.. since her dad died being the eldest i think she feels she has to protect me :rolleyes:

She knows we only expect her to do her best.. have always stressed that we cant ask more than that.
    She has her heart set on forensic science and its her science exams shes doing at the moment which i think is adding to it.. She knows she can resit if need be. I will have a good heart to heart with her later just to make sure she knows xx

11. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

Zoe...with a mam like you hun..she will get through it xx

12. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

I've heard good things about Bach rescue remedy, from people who have used it to calm nerves before a driving test, to being used for dogs on fireworks night :D I think it's a good option for short term stress, like getting some sleep before a exam.

13. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

Get her to write lists - I still write lists before bed and it just helps me empty my mind of all the stuff I need to plan so I can get to sleep!

Also Bach Rescue Remedy - you can get it in chewy pastel form, I used them a lot when I was at my worst.

And meditation. I know it might sound weird but she might be up for it, meditation calms and quietens the mind, it's a really useful tool to just stop fretting and feeling so frantic and worried.

Does she like singing? Perhaps you two could have a karaoke sesh' at some point, that's a more active pastime of mine that really helps me let off steam and feel better about myself.

Going for a nice long walk with the dog sounds lovely, I'm sure she'll ace those exams with a mum like you looking out for her! :D

14. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

That sounds so very much like me at that age...
    Going in for an exam, reading the first question, not immediately knowing it and blanking out completely.....
    Fainting, throwing up, the lot.....
    Sheer panic.

I built up a routine.
    I had the stuff I needed and laid it out in a certain way on my desk, so I could grab my pen, pencil, glasses, you name it, without even looking. Being methodical about my stuff calmed me.

Then I would read through the questions and tell myself not to panic because I didn't know the first one, but I'd read on until I saw one I knew and started answering that one. Then, one by one, the other answers would pop back into my mind.

15. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

Oh, and I would write loads and loads of cheat sheets.
    The thing was, once I had written them, I didn't need them any more, it was all in my head.......

16. metame

metame PetForums VIP

hve absolutley nothing useful to day but *hugs* to you ll

17. XxZoexX

XxZoexX PetForums VIP

Guys I just want to say a huge thanks.. You suggestions and support means more than you'll ever know!!
    Can't post to much ATM running a luxurious bath :) I'll post more in half hour when I'm settled xxx

18. XxZoexX

XxZoexX PetForums VIP

Well she's all plum like and I think the bath salts and Lavender oil helped, she seems much brighter now we've had a chat.. Planned a girly movie night tomorrow, dinner sat and a nice walk Sunday so plenty of time to chat and relax.
    I'm going to look into Bach rescue remedy And order some tomorrow.
    If anyone has any further suggestions I'd be eternally grateful and I know I keep saying it but thanks, I was unsure about posting but so glad I did you're all fab xxx

19. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

Download the enigma album its very relaxing, really helps me.

breathing exercises, such as slowing breathibg down and thinking about each breath in and out. design a picture in your head with eyes closed....very useful.

no stimulation before bed, stop revising at decent time then have a bath, warm milky drink and chill.

keep a notepad by bed to writeveverything down.

ive just been prescribed citalopram and its really helped me sleep at night.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice