Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

stray/sick cat

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Boston, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Boston

Boston PetForums Member

Can somebody please give me some advice on what to do.
    To cut a long story short i have this cat well its not really mine i dont know whos it is i think a Bengal that thinks it lives at my house well today she bring back this small black fluffy moggie this little cat i have never seen before it is a bit nervous but was purring once it got use to me was friendly when it let me stoke it i could feel it had quite a few lumps and was quite badly matted and very very think i can nearly fit my hand around its whole body ive never seen a cat so thin i would say after picking it up it weighs around 2 and a half to 3 pounds. I gave it a small bit of felix i had in the house it ate it so fast it ended up making itself sick.
    I dont know if i should call the rspca or cats protection? i dont want to leave it in case its a poorly stray but then again in could be somebodies sickly cat that they have let out for a walk about. It has no collar on and im not sure if its old or young. I dont know a lot about cats more of a dog person.
    Please excuse spelling and no full stops ect im wrighting this on my mobile.
    Any help would be great

2. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

Please take it straight to your vets or out of hours vets. If you can afford it then PLEASE take it to a vets before the RSPCA. If you tell me what area you are in I will find an out of hours vet.

Em
    xx

3. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

What area of Nottingham are you? The best you can do is take it to an out of hours vet. I will happily find one for you and cover some of the cost over the phone to them if I can - please don't take it to the RSPCA.

If you can do it some plain scrambled egg or boiled chicken breast it may be able to keep that down. Please don't give it cows milk - if you have goats milk or can get somewhere for kitten milk then do.

I'll pm you my mobile number and please text an area where I can find a vet etc - contact the RSPCA as a last resort.

Em
    xx

4. NicoleW

NicoleW PetForums VIP

Can I ask why as a last resort?

5. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

I agree with Eroswoof... vets immediately please! Tell the vet it's a stray, they have a duty to treat the kitty. It's then up to them what they do with the little one after that, but it sounds like the poor thing needs emergency help!

Please keep us updated. I also agree with NOT getting the RSPCA involved if possible.

6. Boston

Boston PetForums Member

Hi
    thanks for replying i have my back door open hoping he might come into the kitchen, earlier i was going to put it in my dining room but by the time i went back inside to get a dog carrier to put him in my dogs were barking which must have made him hide and i cant see him as its pitch black now i know he has been hanging around the gardens as they all back on to each other i have asked my neighbours to keep an eye out for him in case he is waiting around there garden.
    Thank you Eroswolf my vet is a 5 minutes away and as soon as i get hold of him i will take him there asap.
    Thanks for your advice:)

7. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

:thumbup: Don't give up looking for the little one, you might be his/her only hope :( Poor thing.

8. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

The RSPCA are super busy as it is but personally I don't like their policy of putting healthy animals down. I have lots of similar issues with them - if you can help the animal out on its own terms without it becoming a statistic then I'm all for it.

If I couldn't help the animal or afford to get them to the vet then I'd contact a local shelter who I knew wouldn't put them to sleep.

The RSPCA would, as I said, be my last resort

Em
    xx

9. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Plus also RSPCA have a reputation for being very slow. In this instance that could mean a difference between the little one surviving or not :(

10. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

Here here! Go Boston! :thumbup: Scrambled egg or boiled chicken if you get the little un. Otherwise I'd probably notify shelters local to me that if it wasn't chipped to return it to your address (I feel awful calling it it :001_wub:) and you'd take ownership. Give them details of the vets you take your dogs to who I'm sure would give you references, could luck with mr/miss puss

Em
    xx

11. Boston

Boston PetForums Member

Thanks everybody im hoping he/she will come back poor little thing.
    To look at him he doesnt look to poorly nice bright eyes just a bit slow but once you touch him as its all hidden under this fluffy coat its horrible i have seen my fair share of ill treated animals but just very shocked how thin ect he is. He is a lot lighter in weight than my chihuahuas which is why im guess 2/3 pounds.
    I will update everybody as soon as i get hold of him
    thanks again

12. rhian d

rhian d PetForums Senior

awwwww im hoping u can help the lil one weither its an old or young cat in my mind no cat should be PTS :( i agree with others when they say dont go to RSPCA how can u put any animal to sleep before trying to help them :(

1 person likes this.
  13. Jackie99

Jackie99 PetForums VIP

Best of luck, sounds as if he could really do with a caring hand at last.

14. Boston

Boston PetForums Member

Going off topic for a second but while i have a thread going can anybody tell me what type of cat this is i thought maybe a Bengal? but again i dont know a lot about cats or breeds. Photos are a bit dark sorry

Attached Files:

15. Gem16

Gem16 PetForums VIP

It does look like a bengal to me

16. rhian d

rhian d PetForums Senior

i dont know much about bengals but i would guess yes and i just love those markings is he or she ur cat ?

17. Boston

Boston PetForums Member

Lol no this one isnt mine either for the last about 5 months it has been coming around it just turned up one day as i was cleaning the car out i had the front door open and just walked in. Then nearly everyday since it come here if i have any windows open it just gets in even if its the bedroom windown it gets on the roof somehow and climbs through the top part of the window. If i dont let it in it scratches on the door or sits on the living room window ledge very very friendly and confident cat not even worried about my 7 dogs infact i think it wants to go into them so im very carefull about the living room window.
    Im moving house in 3 weeks so need to put a collar on it and ask the owners to ring me so it doesnt get in the moving van and i just need to make sure it does have a home i dont want to leave it if it doesnt. I think its a little girl :)

18. Boston

Boston PetForums Member

Better photo of her from the front she is a big cat her paws are huge

Attached Files:

19. Kiwi

Kiwi PetForums VIP

A very pretty cat. I hope you manage to find the owners before you leave (otherwise I'd definitely be tempted to pop her in the lorry too!) Unfortunately, she looks to well-kept to be a stray :( x

20. rhian d

rhian d PetForums Senior

she definately looks to well kept to have no home. have u got any news on the other poor lil stry did u manage to get it ?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice