Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

stray pregnant cat has kittens!!!

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by debtherat, Aug 21, 2013.

1. debtherat

debtherat PetForums Member

new thread started much sooner than expected..puss had kittens last night - 4, 1 stillborn sadly, so she had the benefit of pain relief for her leg, and escaped major surgery- she was booked in for a c section this morning. The leg injury is a suspected pelvic fracture which makes much more sense than fractured femur- but she can't be x-rayed til kittens are weaned.
    So she is back with me in my new maternity wing. Pics in a few days when she's settled in. i am a foster mum!!:D

2. we love bsh's

we love bsh's PetForums VIP

was this the cat who was struggling to walk?

3. debtherat

yes - all safe and sound now, absolutely flaked out. Very happy for her :D

4. we love bsh's

Ah what was up with her then?

5. debtherat

they haven't been able to x-ray her as she had the kittens -a suspected pelvic fracture- I guess due to the pregnancy. At the moment she's not likely to try moving far but she may have to be crated if she starts trying to move about too much. I don't think they will x-ray her now til the kittens are weaned.

6. we love bsh's

good that she may recover well as all she will want to do in nurse the kittens.

7. debtherat

just a quick question..cat ate about half pouch of Purely kitten food mixed with a drop of boiled water ( PAH) last night when i brought her home which was the best I could afford , CPL has dropped off trays of Felix adult and she ate another half pouch just now - i left kitten iams dry and a bowl of water out overnight but don't think she's touched it. She is sounding quite snuffly and I am dreading a flu as she has been through so much. What would be best to feed her? I am on a budget, and I have plenty of cat food, but what else would be good to give her a boost and get her strength up?
    Thx

#7 debtherat, Aug 22, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  8. HoneyFern

HoneyFern PetForums VIP

At the rescue we feed Whiskas kitten or Felix kitten to pregnant/nursing cats, saves having to change her diet when the kittens start eating.

9. cats galore

cats galore PetForums VIP

i don't know if it's possible for you to feed raw, but the cat i rescued last week that had 6 kittens on friday (flossy) is eating raw since having the kittens. i do make my own for my own cats and from what i understand, this is the best by far for them. flossy and the kittens have cat flu, but the raw will help keep her strong and help produce the best milk for the kittens hopefully

#9 cats galore, Aug 22, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  10. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Keep an eye on her for more signs of the 'flu', she may need antibiotics, which isn't a problem really as there are some safe for nursing cats.

I'm so glad she's back with you and all went ok for the birth. So sorry she lost one.

I feed my cats homemade raw, but even if you can offer her several unbalanced raw meals a week it will help.

Is she on pain relief? 6-10 weeks is a very long time to wait to be x-rayed. Did they give a reason why it couldn't be done now?

11. debtherat

could you give me some examples of what you are feeding please? Have never fed raw. would it be advisable to feed raw temporarily til she gets her strength up , as shes not showing much interest in food, and then switch back- she will be here for a few weeks, and I probably wouldn't want to feed her raw permenantly. Thx

12. we love bsh's

google natural instincts thats good stuff

13. debtherat

No pain relief or xray because of the kittens- does this sound right to you? Although I was told she had pain relief when first admitted.i

14. Jesthar

Jesthar PetForums VIP

There's also Nutriment too, which is rather more balanced on the bone content at the moment and less likely to cause very hard poo - last think you'd want with a pelvis problem is straining to go to the loo.

If you're feeding mainstream food brands of the type available in big shops and supermarkets then I think the kitten versions are often recommended for nursing mums (please double check, though, as I've never had a litter to look after!) as they are higher quality. If you are feeding high meat content foods, though (usually, though not exclusively, foreign and only available from websites) the regular foods should be fine due to the superior overall quality.

Personally I'd prefer to leave the IAMS dry out the equation entirely (not a good brand unfortunately, supermarket own brand quality with a premium markup) if you can as frequent wet meals will be much better for her, but I can't fault having it around in case she is hungry and you aren't around.

15. we love bsh's

i know i cant think of a reason why she cant be x-rayed now.

16. cats galore

sorry for not replying earlier. i think in situation you are probably best to buy the brands stated by others. you may not want to make your own for just a short period. i've only used natural instinct myself but i too have heard people mention Nutriment. when i'm making my raw i use a mixture of chicken breast, pigs or lambs hearts, pigs kidneys, gizzards, chicken necks, chicken and pigs liver, chicken hearts and then mince it together with some added water. my cats love it and Flossy has now decided she will not eat anything else:).

17. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Just guessing here, but I imagine there was no point in an X-ray before she had them as the kittens skeletons might have hidden what they were trying to see in hers. Pain relief might be tricky if it can get into her milk.

18. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

Congratulations on kittens being born, glad mum and babies are ok but sorry for the sad loss of the little baby.
    RIP Tiny Baby xx

Re xray, maybe the vets want her to settle with babies before doing xrays, they may do them when kittens are weaned, vets dont like doing xrays on pregnant cats as it can harm unborn kittens. This is the only reason i can think of.

19. debtherat

thx for all your help. am taking her back to vets shortly, she's not eating, one kitten died this afternoon and i do suspect cat flu as she sounds so snuffly. this morning she seemed to be pushing the little one away which passed so it may be there was something wrong with it but am worried about the 2 little ones left now. Poor cat.

20. cats galore

i'm so sorry to hear you lost this kitten. it's heartbreaking to see them go, but sometimes there is nothing that can be done. i hope you manage to get help at the vets. there has been so much sadness this week on here, we really need some good news now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice