Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Stray cat walks into my cat flap. Require help.

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by TheWoodward, Sep 15, 2013.

1. TheWoodward

TheWoodward PetForums Member

Hi there

My boyfriend had a stray cat walk into his cat flap earlier today and it is soo skinny. I'm not sure what to do.

It has dirt in its fur, dark brown spots on its nose and tip of ears. You can feel all its bones on its ribs, spine etc.

We fed it a little bit it is a gorgeous cat and so well natured purrs and loves attention.

Just wondering if any of you know what the spots mean? He has discharge from his eyes and nose.
    And were trying to decide how much to feed as it so skinny.

I realise it needs to go to the vets but being a sunday have to wait till tomorrow. Just any advice on what we should do would be great they already have 2 cats ones freaked out the others not bothered. And the stray cat seems chilled anyway

Attached Files:

2. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

You are right to take him to the vet, because sometimes dark spots in these areas can be skin cancer, especially on white cats (after such a hot summer too!) I really hope it's not that but definitely get the vet to check...

3. CharlieChaplin

CharlieChaplin PetForums VIP

O my goodness! He looks like a stray.

I have never been in this situation before - so unsure how to advise. I hope someone with better experience will come along shortly.....

But, having said that what I would probably do is;

First off - I would keep my cats separate from this one - just incase there are any illnesses and fleas etc. I would try and put it in a smallish room on its own. This will need to be cleaned after he/she left.

I would then offer him/her food and water and place a litter tray in the room, whilst trying to make it comfortable.

Then I would take it to vets asap.

Could you possibly phone you local emergency vet for some advice? I've done that before with my own cat on a sunday. As I was unsure whether to take him in or not - they were very helpful and I didn't have to take him in.

I don't know if it would be safe to flea/worm him or anything. As you don't know his history.

Hopefuly someone with better knowledge will help. But well done on not kicking him/her straight back out again!

4. HoneyFern

HoneyFern PetForums VIP

If there's a 24hr vet nearby they might be able to scan him for a chip as he may have gotten himself lost. You could also try any local rescues but there is likely to be no space so all they would be able to do is scan him and you would have to bring him home after. Either way you can report him as found to local vets and rescues as he may have been logged as missing - he's quite distinctive.

With a bit of tlc he could be a stunner again in no time but I am a bit concerned about his ears :(.

5. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

He looks a gorgeous cat or he would be if he were healthy, I'm sure he must belong to someone. It could be a long time stray or it could be skinny if it has an illness. I agree not to let him in with the other cats in case he's not vaccinated and it looks as if he might have some infection. Suggest feed him little meals to start with and don't be surprised if he has diarrhoea with having new food. I'm sure he will be OK until tomorrow when you can get to your vets. The black spots on his nose and ears may be sinister if he's been a stray all through the hot summer and out in the sun a lot and its likely he may have fleas in his fur. Poor puss. Hope it turns out to be OK for him.

6. lostbear

lostbear Bear right at Newcastle . . .

What a beautiful,and obviously pedigree cat - probably something like a cinnamon point siamese, if such a thing exists. There are siamese owners on here who may be able to offer breed specific advice.

He may have been dumped, even if he is a pedigree - he has obviously lives rough for a while. His ears could have been damaged in fights - is he an entire tom, or neutered?

I would just make him as comfy as possible, keep him away from your other cats, As CharlieChaplin has suggested (he will be wick with fleas, if nothing else) and get him to the vet in the morning.

Thank you for giving him some loving attention. He doesn't seem seriously at-the-point-of-death ill, so waiting until tomorrow will probably be okay.

God bless

7. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Well he is not your average Moggie is he? Some kind of Oriental I would think. I really don't like the look of his ears, looks very like cancerous damage....hopefully Buffie will take a look I think one of her previous cats had this problem.
    Food today, little and often....and then the vet tomorrow to scan for a chip.

8. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Hi PP's :) Was just going to comment when I came to your post.
    Poor cat he does look in a state :(.The ear tips do look in a mess but it is difficult to tell in the pic whether it could be a form of skin cancer or not.Are the ear edges black/crusty and scabby ,if so then sadly this could be the case although the ears are not white which is usually the main problem.
    If it is squamous cell carcinoma then hopefully it wont have spread and removing the ear pinna's will sort it,although there does seem to be some similar damage around the nose.

9. MollyMilo

MollyMilo PetForums VIP

Oh I'm crying :crying:

He's a red point siamese

Oh poor baby :crying:

10. CharlieChaplin

CharlieChaplin PetForums VIP

Hopefully we will be kept updated with this ones process - he looks in a state that he is either lost or a stray.....either way he has been out for a while.

let us know what the vet says.

Would you be willing to home him?

11. TheWoodward

Hi well I've offered to take him for the night as his cat was very distressed i also have a cat and dog but I also have many rescues and vet near me unlike the OH.

Ears aren't scabby just black spots. Will get him to vets tomorrow such a sweet natured cat I think its a boy but I've never sexed a cat before so not sure if I'm right. He seems to be taking care of himself grooming wise which I assume is a good sign.

My dog seems fine with him shes fully vaccinated and soon to be fleaed.

Unfortunately had to put him in my room and he pissed on my bed :mad: and had a poo in a very annoying place too. But showed him where the litter tray is.
    My cat isn't very amused but shall get some tlc as well and kept him away as he is not vaccinated.

Will keep you update home the toiletries incident gave someone a laugh lol.

Got a lot of black dirt on him which I assume is flea dirt? But haven't seen one flea yet so not sure.

12. loubyfrog

loubyfrog PetForums VIP

Bless him,He looks like he's had it tough doesn't he...His ears look so...dogeared :(

Brilliant that you've brought him home,Hope the vets trip goes well and he's not poorly but just in need of some love and attention.

13. MollyMilo

MollyMilo PetForums VIP

Poor man :crying: he looks like he has been living out in the wilderness for quite a while :( he must be so relieved to find himself a lovely warm house and loving caring human. Bless you :)

Where are you OP? I've looked on the Siamese rescue site and there is a red point from Penzance missing since July.

Put him on there and on the regular find a pet sites until you cn get him to a vet

14. TheWoodward

O really my Bf lives in Buckfastleigh couldnt have got that far could he? LOl. South Devon basically.

Will put him up

15. Buttons1

Buttons1 PetForums VIP

16. TheWoodward

no he doesn't well not that I can see. :( trying to advertise him on websites. I say him not sure tbh

17. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

The siamese on that site is Diabetic which would make him look very scruffy if he has been living without medication.:mad:

18. MollyMilo

MollyMilo PetForums VIP

His empty Pom Poms will be pale ginger coloured

19. TheWoodward

What are his pom poms?

20. TheWoodward

Is the angry face aimed at me? Also he doesn't look that scruffy with his fur just extremely thin

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice