Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Stray cat problems

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by hubballi, Aug 6, 2009.

1. hubballi

hubballi PetForums Junior

Hello, I am new here :)

Around the end of April a lovely tabby cat started to sleep on our front door mat and back garden as if it was claiming us. For some time we let it stay in our shed as we have an old ginger (male) tom (also a stray) who wouldn't have taken to another cat in the house. Gradually it won us over and we let it in the house. We found it to be clean and it stayed away from our cat. In fact, it showed submission to him and he often gave it a whack to let it know who was boss. Since then it has started to become dominant and the ginger cat has become nervy and runs away if it even looks at him. Sometimes they play but as ginger (thats his name) is old he just wants a bit of peace and quiet. He has also started to lose weight and spends most of the time hidden away under the bed. They sometimes sleep next to each other and there is no problem but there are moments when the tabby seems to be stalking him all the time.

We could put this down to the fact that he is much younger and just wants to play. We also wormed ginger as he was being sick and messing in the same spot on the bathroom (something he used to do) and he has perked up a bit.

The other problem is the tabby has been leaving urine marks around the skirting boards in every room, I know it isn't ginger because he doesn't do that as he was spayed. I also caught the tabby in the act once against the log basket. We put it down to a one off but I have since found more evidence.

We do not know the exact sex of the tabby but we are pretty sure it is a female.

If anyone can suggest what the problem may be I would be and how to tackle it very grateful. We have looked in the local papers and notices in the shop and have not found any missing tabby posts. We haven't taken it to the vet to see if its chipped. Perhaps we should.

Thanks.

2. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

in my opinion female cats are alot more dominant and bitchy than males so sounds like it cud be a female. take her to the vets and get her spayed. this will stop her need for dominance a little as theres no sexual need for her anymore. she shud also stop her scent marking if shes spayed

a trip to the vets deff sounds the best.

3. hubballi

How much is it to get a female spayed ? The trouble is I have just lost my job and might not afford it.

4. BALOO J.

BALOO J. Guest

I think the RSPCA could help you with some of the cost, ask your vet, as it sounds like it may be a stray. They may help with any jabs also.

5. hubballi

Our vet told me it wouldn't really make a difference to it urinating around the house if it was spayed or not.

6. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Your vet is wrong! Sometimes these vets really are crap. It might not make a difference but probably will. You just have to suck it and see - sometimes the habit is too ingrained to stop, sometimes it isn't, you just don't know until you have her spayed or him neutered.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice