Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

stray cat hormones

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Shadow And Lightning, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Shadow And Lightning

Shadow And Lightning PetForums VIP

ive not seen my neutered male stray for a while, he was neutered only recently at the end of april and vets aged him about 6-7 years old, i was wondering as he was neutered older, would he still have the tendency to search for a mate and that could be why he disappears at times?

2. sashski

sashski PetForums Senior

I too would be interested in this scenario, we have a stray tom round here aptly names Mr Stray. The fact he managed to get into my kitchen the other night and ripped the cat flap apart to get out is neither here nor there. :eek:

Ive been given a neuter voucher by CPL but I need to catch him first (any tips greatly received!) but I wonder if neutering him now will make much difference i.e will he wander as far, call so much and still spray?

3. Shadow And Lightning

Shadow And Lightning PetForums VIP

it depends how friendly he is, mine took two years to start to trust me enough for me to be able to get him neutered, i wasnt able to get one of them trap cages so it was a matter of gaining his trust and letting him sleep in the spare room etc
    i explained to my vets what i was doing and said i cant really make an appointment as i dont know when ill be able to get him, and when i did get him they just squished him in
    he did stop spraying though and doesnt wander as far he is usually in my garden but every now and again he goes for like 2-3 days

4. sashski

sashski PetForums Senior

I can get close enough to feed him treats from my hand and he loves a fuss, and I could catch him by the scruff - if he had one! He's so muscly there is nothing there to grab hold of! I don't really want him in my house as he fights with other cats and he's covered in fleas!

The CPL have said I can take him to their vet - which happens to be the same vet as the one I go to - at anytime and they will keep him in until they neuter him.

5. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

My neighbour finally managed to get one of the local toms neutered, he must be 4/5 years old. I had noticed that I no longer see him out on patrol and she reports that he has become a real housecat, following her round the house.
    So.....I guess they all react differently.
    Annoyingly his original 'owners' have reportedly got another cat.....:mad:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice