Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Stray cat had kittens in my garden

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by niamh-, Oct 14, 2020.

1. niamh-

niamh- PetForums Newbie

Hi guys! I'm looking for any help or advice on how I can help a stray mammy cat and her two kittens that have taken residency in my grandparents garden. I first noticed them about 6 weeks ago and they were walking etc by that stage so my guess is that they are at least 8-10 weeks old now. I contacted a local rescue several weeks ago to get advice on how to help them/ get them health checked/spayed. She advised that I would have to wait until the kittens are no longer feeding off the mammy cat because we couldn't separate them if so.
    I've been leaving out food for them most days (when I can get over to the house) and the mammy and kitten 1 eats however kitten 2 doesn't and this has been the case for 3 weeks now. It seems as though kitten 2 is still feeding off the mammy and stays at home while Mammy and kitten1 go off looking for food. I'm starting to worry about kitten 2 as she is a good bit smaller than the other kitten now and I'm wondering if she is getting enough from her mammy. Any advice on how to help or should I just wait and kitten2 will eat eventually? I would love to take in the little one as a pet but not sure if good idea to separate yet. I've attached pic of the kittens back 6 weeks ago and a current pic of the little one.

Attached Files:

#1 niamh-, Oct 14, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Any chance you can catch them all and just take them to a rescue?

I’d be surprised if they turned them away.

Summercat likes this.
  3. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

@niamh-
    Hi,
    Is the mother approachable? If not a rescue may let you borrow a cat trap you put food in to catch her.
    Then you could take all in as @Lurcherlad said.
    The rescue can sterilize the mother & kittens and other needed care such as worming and vaccinations.Then they can go about finding homes.
    For kittens it is best to have human contact when young, so if for some reason you cannot get them to a rescue straight away, I would try to socialize them as much as possible.
    What area are you in, maybe someone knows of another rescue that can help.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. niamh-

niamh- PetForums Newbie

Thanks so much for the responses!
    @Lurcherlad That is the plan, to get them taken in to a rescue, however I was told to take them to the vet first myself but apparently vet won't take the mum until the kitten has stopped feeding off her.
    @Summercat Unfortunately no, the mother is not approachable, both her and the kittens run as soon as I go outside. The garden is a bit overgrown and plenty of places for them to hide so to catch them I would need to borrow the cat traps from the rescue. I'm going to contact the rescue again and see what she advises now at this stage because as @OrientalSlave said, the mum could become pregnant again any day and still no progress on the little one eating.

chillminx and Lurcherlad like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice