Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Stray Cat Aggressive After Spay

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by marbee, Feb 25, 2019.

1. marbee

marbee PetForums Junior

Last year we had a pregnant stray cat come into our care, she could be aggressive at first but she calmed down once the kittens were born. She was fine even after the kittens had left only very rarely attacking us, we had her spayed in January but ever since her spay she has been aggressive and will attack for no reason out of the blue.
    She will rub against our legs and head butt our hands wanting to be pet but once we pet her a few seconds in she will attack, bite or scratch, sometimes she won't use her claws and other times she will. I'm trying to be patient with her but i live with 5 other people (my family) and not everyone is as patient as me especially she will attack feet randomly too.
    I'm not sure what to do and how i can get her to stop attacking everyone for no reason, i do try and play with her with dangle toys daily, anyone have any suggestions?

Also i need to get her some flea treatment but i'm unsure of her weight, i think she's just under 4kg or 4kg on the dot but she won't let me weigh her properly, i did flea her last month using under 4kg but she was still scratching like mad, i was wondering if i should give her the over 4kg and if that would do any harm if she was under 4kg?

2. Quartermass

Quartermass PetForums Senior

Soozi likes this.
  3. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

I don’t think the higher dose will hurt her unless she is a really small cat and from what you say she isn’t. What flea treatment are you using? If she has got fleas then you need to treat the house otherwise she will continually become infected. You could try calming plug in but I personally have found them a useless expense but others would disagree. My last girl would go for feet and ankles it’s a hard habit to break. A kickaroo is a really good toy for frustrated cats they really need to vent their energy. Hope you can calm her but you will need to be patient. Good luck. xxx

OrientalSlave likes this.
  4. marbee

marbee PetForums Junior

I have a kickeroo and she doesn't seem interested unfortunately

Quartermass and Soozi like this.
  5. marbee

marbee PetForums Junior

Oh good, i will give it a try then, i have used indorex for the house but since our house is a little bit bigger one bottle wasn't enough so 3 rooms weren't sprayed, should i get another bottle and redo the house? Kickerroo doesn't interest her, i've been giving her toys to play with in the garden since the suns been out

Soozi likes this.
  6. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Yes you need to do the whole house not just part of it. Indorex is good and goes further than you think so no need to go too mad with it. Make sure you deflea your cat with a good treatment like Advantage or Advocate. I’m trying to think of ways to distract her from lashing out. How do family members react when she attacks them! If they really shout or stamp or wave their arms at her then she will see this as aggression too and it will make matters worse.

OrientalSlave likes this.
  7. marbee

marbee PetForums Junior

Right, I'll make an order and redo the whole house, thanks. Most of my family tend to stay away from her since they're scared of getting attacked but she's quite fond of my mom and when she does attack her my mom will say no in a stern manner and walk away from her, i try not to shout at her and stay calm which isn't always easy i must admit especially when shes bit me a little too hard.

Soozi likes this.
  8. Shrike

Shrike Brooke's faithful manservant

When I need to weigh Brooke I weigh her carrier with luggage scales, set it to zero and then weigh her in the carrier. If you don't have zeroising scales simply weigh the carrier, weigh carrier with cat and take one from the other.

chillminx and Soozi like this.
  9. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

Make sure she doesn’t feel hemmed in. Can I also suggest that she might like to be up high to feel safe. Some cats are tree dwellers!

My MC likes a high up cat tree. She has calmed a lot not but I decked out a room with a tree that wasn’t far off ceiling height. It calmed her as she could see everything and feel safe. Maybe a high cabinet or smaller cat tree on a sideboard? Blue lounged on our booze cabinet until it got sent to the charity shop.

You might pick one up in Sphock or similar.
    Pet remedy is also relaxing.

chillminx and Soozi like this.
  10. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

^^^^ Very Good tip hun BC! xxx

bluecordelia likes this.
  11. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@marbee - cats are often fascinated by bare human feet but less interested in shod feet. Try persuading every one to wear slippers indoors, the type where the toes are hidden (i.e. not the mule type).

If she bites or scratches give a high pitched squeal and keep still. Tell all the family to do the same so there is consistency. Do not snatch your hand/arm/leg etc away as that will make her think it is a game.

One of my cats is not interested in kickeroos but loves the strong smelling cat nip Yeowww toys (rainbow, banana, apple and pollock) for kicking and biting. If you can keep one of these with you, you can push it between her paws each time she is bitey or scratchy. It is always best to redirect the cat's attention as well as giving the 'squeal'.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yeowww-Cat...&sr=8-13&keywords=yeowww+catnip+toys+for+cats

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yeowww-Pol...&keywords=yeowww+catnip+pollock+toys+for+cats

Try to keep the Yeowww toys out her reach (either in a drawer or on a shelf) so they retain their reward/treat ability. If she has access to them all the time they will lose value in her eyes.

It's only a few weeks since she was spayed. Her hormones will still be raging. We had a very lively female at the shelter a few years ago, whom no-one could go near while she was raising her kittens, she was so aggressive. Even when her kittens had been homed and she'd been spayed she was aggressive, awful to the other cats in her pen. Slowly, slowly she calmed down until 6 mths later she was a docile sweetheart.I hardly recognised her as the same cat! She was rehomed successfully. :)
    It was unusual for a spayed female to take that long to calm down, and probably your cat won't take anything like that long. More like 3 months maybe...

Which flea treatment did you use for her? Advantage spot-on is one of the most effective, and can be bought online without a prescription. Avoid any makes than contain fipronil insecticide as it is not always effective in the UK.

#11 chillminx, Feb 25, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    Soozi likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice