Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Strange toilet training problem?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by adsy1980, Jan 14, 2008.

1. adsy1980

adsy1980 PetForums Newbie

Hello, I'd be grateful for any help with a confusing problem we're having with our 14 week old English Springer puppy and her toilet training.

In the evenings she does not really seem to be able to control her bladder (or can and is being obstinate!) for example in the last hour and a half with me in the kitchen she has pee'd 3 times outside and two large puddles inside. The second of these was just after she had been in the garden on her own for 3 minutes! The other did have a warning whine, but as she had just pee'd on command literally 10 minutes before I didn't think she could possibly have that much wee in her again!

We are currently using the cage method to try and teach her as initially we gave her too much freedom and she just pee'd constantly in the kitchen (every 20 mins in the evening), despite our (hourly) frequent visits to the garden. She is able to hold her bladder in the cage and during free time in the day for an hour to an hour and 30 mins (and all through the night without problem) and she understands and goes on command outside.

We have supervised the amount of fluid she takes in, but this still bears no great correlation to the amount of wee. She is otherwise fit and well (no UTI that I can see as pee in clear and non-foul smelling!). Any help or insight into this would be gratefully appreciated as I want to be able to have her out of the cage for longer periods as she doesn't exactly love being in there!

Many thanks, Adam.

2. nici

nici PetForums Senior

she should learn but persistance is the key i have a 15 week old pup and some day we have no accidents then other times it seem like hes done it everywhere, just try to make a big fuss of her when she gets it right and ignor when she dosent, you will get there shes still young,my pup has freedam to come and go as he wants to wich helps.:)

3. carol

carol PetForums VIP

my pup is 13 weeks and we still have the odd time he pee's indoors he knows he should go out, and i tell him wee's he goes.

its just time and persistance :) :)

4. Tweedle Dee

Tweedle Dee PetForums Member

Hi Adam , like the others said its really about being persistant and eventually they click. We too have an ESS pup who is 13 weeks and although she knows that she has to toilet outside she still has an occasional accident. If you study them carefully you can pick up on the body language that they need to go toilet...although its usually the 5 seconds you look away that they go :rolleyes: .

It sounds like you are doing all the right things. The only thing i would suggest is letting her out every 20 mins when ever she is outside of the crate..ive owned 4 springers and i find that as they tend to be a more excitable breed they do sometimes forget that they need the loo when they are buisy being mad 'springers'!! :D

Ang.

5. Debbie

Debbie PetForums VIP

Great advise given already - it takes more time with some dogs than others - kinda like children and potty training - keep trying - your hard work will pay off in the end.

6. kaz

kaz PetForums Junior

As everyone else has said - just keep an eye on her and also see if there is a pattern that she always needs to o more often at a certain time of day.
    When you say that you supervise her drinking water does that mean that you limit the amount or just check how often you need to top up the bowl?

7. adsy1980

adsy1980 PetForums Newbie

That's great - thanks for the advice (and reassurance) as many have said, last couple of days have been good (so expecting a blip soon!) but she is improving everyday! - in terms of supervising water - monitoring how much is down and how often she gets through it, so can estimate roughly what kind of volume to come out!

Thanks again. Adam.

8. kaz

kaz PetForums Junior

LOL - there never seems to be any correlation between the two:D
    I'm glad that she is getting better.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice