Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Strange Red Rash?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by is_emmalee, Jul 11, 2019.

1. is_emmalee

is_emmalee PetForums Newbie

Hello!

I’m aware that I cannot ask for a diagnosis here (understandably) but my dog has recently developed a rash on his lower stomach that extends down the inside on his back legs. I was wondering if any of you have experienced something like this and if so, should I consult a vet. (I am asking here because he hasn’t shown any signs of discomfort except for licking and vets can be expensive). Thanks

Attached Files:

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

If he is licking, that IS a sign of discomfort. How long has he had it? Is it improving or getting worse?

Many of us take the approach of whether we would go to a doctor if we had the same symptoms. So, if he was running through long grass yesterday and it has just appeared, we might think nettle rash and leave it for a day or two. But if there are no obvious reasons and it isn't improving, then yes; a vet check is a good idea.

3. is_emmalee

is_emmalee PetForums Newbie

I have only seen him licking once and I thought he may have just been licking his privates. The rash has only just formed today and he has been at home all day as I usually take him for an afternoon walk.

4. Beth78

Beth78 PetForums Senior

Has it been hot where you are, sometimes whisp gets a little rash on her pinks when it's very hot. I put some supersoothe on its, that sorts it out.

5. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I had a dog who developed a similar rash in Summer and he was reacting to long grass and particularly wet grass.

He needed a daily dose of Piriton throughout the Summer, but that recommendation was made by my Vet.

I would let your Vet see him and take his advice if it doesn't disappear in a day or two.

Try avoiding long grass.

6. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

I agree with @Rafa, my dog gets a similar rash in the summer too, seasonal allergies. We (vet and I) think it's long grass that's the problem.
    I'd take him to the vet and see what they say.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice