Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Strange question about the feel of a cat's paw!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Temporally_Loopy, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Temporally_Loopy

Temporally_Loopy PetForums Member

Okay, hard to explain but, what should a healthy cat's paw pad feel like?

Bertie has been having problems with his paw pads for some time (yes, they have been looked at twice at the vets). Starting with dry and flaky hard skin which, following advice from the vet, I was "helping" with additional salmon oil supplement etc. as this was the agreed first option prior to rubbing oil onto his pads (which I know he will hate).

However, I am sure that the texture of his pads is now different - but also wonder if I'm going a little crazy in worrying about him and am seeing things that aren't there. This is why, initially, I am just asking what the pads should feel like before I go into a really rambling post that might not be necessary.

Sorry to be cryptic and thanks.

2. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Indoor only or indoor outdoor? It will make a difference.

3. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Only one of my cats will let me randomly feel her paw pads, but they all walk, scratch, dig and climb on the same surfaces. Her pad leathers are soft and warm, there is some give when I gently press, with little tufts of fur between, and I can feel the claws a little too (just trimmed them Sunday)

Cat are indoor only.

4. Temporally_Loopy

Temporally_Loopy PetForums Member

Thank you for that comprehensive description Lorilu - yes, Bertie is indoor too.

5. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I was just coming back to add that her toes feel the same as the pads.

Sorry to hear about your troubles with Bertie's paws. What's his diet? Has this been ongoing for his whole life or is it new? If new, wondering if there's been a change in household products.

Even litter, even if you use the same brand as always, the brand may have changed something in the litter.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice