Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Strange lump

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Burrowzig, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I noticed a lump on Kite around 2 1/2 weeks ago. On the outer side of her thigh, at first it felt like a small hard knot in the muscle. Over the next few days it became larger and puffy and I could see the outline in her fur, which I hadn't noticed at first.
    So I got her to the vet on Thursday and they took cell samples which came back as indicating inflammation. Vet didn't know what it was, but said it didn't feel or look like the lipomas that commonly occur in older dogs - Kite is 9. Since Sunday, the lump has reduced back in size and now feels more like it did when I first felt it - still distinctly there. As her fur was shaved, I can't tell if the outline looks any different.
    If it had been the result of an injury, I'd have expected her to be more protective of it when I was feeling it, but she hasn't responded at all; didn't flinch when the samples were taken, even.
    I'm just curious - any ideas what it could be? Of course I'll be keeping a sharp eye on it, and if it gets bigger or changes again, she'll be more fully investigated.

2. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

Hope this settles down for Kite,healing thoughts are with you:)

3. Kimmikins

Kimmikins PetForums VIP

Could it be an insect bite or something? Or a puncture injury/scratch that’s a bit inflamed or infected? Did the vet say what they’d want to do based on the biopsy results?

4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

My first thought was insect bite or sting, or puncture but there's nothing on the skin to indicate anything of that sort - skin is smooth with no central mark, and it was getting bigger when, after a sting, it should have been reducing. Vet said to see if it gets bigger (in which case removing it or doing a full biopsy would be best) , or it could resolve itself which seems to be what's happening.
    I just don't like not knowing the reason behind it.

Kimmikins likes this.
  5. Kimmikins

Kimmikins PetForums VIP

I’d be the same. Well, I am the same because I’ve booked Sara in for a lump check next week!

6. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Urgh, a spot that doesn't burst, hate them

7. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Maybe too obvious and I'm sure either yourself or the vet would have thought of it, but could it possibly be a cyst? Or cyst like?

rona likes this.
  8. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Yes, we both thought it might be one but it felt puffier and without the distinct edge, than the one Ziggy had when she was alive, and it seems to be integrated with the muscle. Which of course a cyst can be. Now it's like there was swelling that has reduced.

ForestWomble likes this.
  9. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I've just checked it again and there's further reduction.
    Rather annoying that I've spent £112 on sod all - but Kite's OK which is all that matters.

10. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I can barely feel anything there now.

Kimmikins and Jobeth like this.
  11. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Great news!!!
    You must be very relieved.

12. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Yes, though I never thought it was anything serious but had to have the tests done to be sure. You just can't ignore lumps on dogs unless you know 100% that they're innocuous. I was watching that Yorkshire Vet on TV a couple of weeks ago and a dog was shown being treated for a massive mammary tumour. Beggared belief that the farmer could have let it get so big before seeking treatment.

Mum2Heidi likes this.
  13. Kimmikins

Kimmikins PetForums VIP

I’m so glad that it wasn’t anything serious, and your money was “wasted”...though we all know it’s not wasted when it comes to these things :)

14. Tillystar

Tillystar PetForums VIP

Glad to hear the lump as reduced. When Bella was a pup she caught Tilly or that's what we think & she had a lump on her chest took her to the vets they said to keep an eye if it got redder or bigger bring her back but within a few days it has gone completely.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice