UK Pet Forums Forum banner

Strange insect

487 views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  maisiecat 
#1 ·
me & my oh had been helping move a family member yesterday. Jasper had been in the spare room & when I came back I picked him up and a little bug fell on me. I'm not sure if it's a normal bug that you find (I know nothing about insects) but it's really worrying me that it's a flea/mite or tick. It's so hard to get a good picture because I only have my phone :(

It was dead & I've checked him & cant find anything at all on him. It was quite big too.

Could anyone hazard a guess at what it is?

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Hi Faye. I tried to have a look. But I'm not sure what it is either. I can normally spot a flea a mile off. Is Jasper protected against fleas? (It's not a silly question I wasn't allowed to flea treat Yogi when he was ill. Not even frontline which tiny kittens of a couple weeks can have. ) a flea is flat and brownie black. And they crack when you crack them with your nails. It's a good sign it's dead whatever it is. I wouldn't worry too much Hun.

Viv xx

#6 ·
Hi Faye. I tried to have a look. But I'm not sure what it is either. I can normally spot a flea a mile off. Is Jasper protected against fleas? (It's not a silly question I wasn't allowed to flea treat Yogi when he was ill. Not even frontline which tiny kittens of a couple weeks can have. ) a flea is flat and brownie black. And they crack when you crack them with your nails. It's a good sign it's dead whatever it is. I wouldn't worry too much Hun.

Viv xx
Yeah, we treat him for fleas & he's been protected for mites too as they thought he had those. (He had scaley skin on the backs of his legs) that seems to have cleared up. we sprayed indorex a couple of weeks ago & hoovered for a week and I can't spot any flea dirt on him.

It had a strange pattern (sort of like a lady bug really) I've never seen anything like it.

It just makes my paranoia flare up as I am so anxious about things like that & it's embarrassing :(

Thankyou viv xxx

#13 ·
Carpet Beetles - also known as Wooley Bears (for the larvae)

They actually mostly come in from outside as they often inhabit birds nests and they aren't a risk to humans or cats - they don't bite etc etc - but their larvae ingest natural fibres such as wool, fabric carpet, cat hair etc etc.

If you've only seen one I REALLY wouldn't worry - especially as you're not sure if that's what you saw - it probably came in from outside. However, if you start noticing damage to fabric it can mean you need to look into it.

#16 ·
Carpet beetles are not very big, the woolly bear larvae are bigger and look like very very small woodlice. Google is your friend, have a little read and look at some photos. The larvae can cause skin irritation, not always but scabby cats and rashes on your skin are possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.