Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Strange Great Dane Behaviour in new Home

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by daveleeuk, Feb 9, 2008.

1. daveleeuk

daveleeuk PetForums Member

Hello,

My Nan has just got a new blue great dane bitch (apprx 2 years old), and it is in season now. (was for 1-2 days before re homing)

Is there a risk she could be pregnant? I have done a bit of research and it said they can only concieve between 8-18 days into the ustral cycle, can you guys confirm that for me?

Also, my Nan lives with my godfather, and the seems over attached to him, follows him constantly and even when he is just in the toilet, she whimpers and whines, and even sleeps in his bedroom. She has been there 4 days now, I am trying to re-assure them that it is because she is nervouse of her new surroundings so needs company alot. But it seems odd as she almost ignores my nan, just follows my godfather.

They are going to be contacting the vets first thing monday, they are both animal lovers, and she (dog) will be so happy there, I just want some answers to ease their anxiety (vets is closed until monday)

2. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Hi & Welcome,

Bitches can concieve usually between day 11 onwards is the general rule,although I have known bitches that will stand earlier than that,around 7 days and later, day 23,so you really need to keep her away from males for around 5 weeks.
    If your Nan is not planning on breeding from her it may be a good idea to have her spayed,you then have no worries with seasons and it cuts out the risk of pyometra which can be fatal in bitches.

As for the behaviour,it may well be because she's in a new home with strange people and surroundings,different smells sounds etc.....

A good idea to get her checked by the vet,let us know how you get on....

3. daveleeuk

Thank very much, that's very helpful.

She will be spayed asap! The vet is visiting her sometime next week, so i'll keep you posted!

4. daveleeuk

Just a quick one to let you know she's settling in fine now, very calm and good as gold!

I think it must have been because she was in season (it's not just human females that turn into monsters once a month) :p

5. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Thats Great!!!!
    Thanks for updating us.:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice