Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Strange Feather Loss Pattern - Giardia or Something Else?

Discussion in 'Bird Health and Nutrition' started by fernwitch, Oct 5, 2013.

1. fernwitch

fernwitch PetForums Newbie

My parrot is a blue head pionus. He's about 12 years old. Right now he has a weird pattern of baldness around the base of his tail, top and bottom. I can't make an appointment for him until Monday, so just hoping to know a few things I might expect when I can finally get him in.

A little background... I'm not sure if/how these things are related, but a few months back, he chewed through a perch and I didn't replace it. Suddenly his tail feathers started looking frayed, like they were rubbing on the bars of his cage, and after about two weeks I realized that after I put him to bed at night, he was crawling to the bottom of his cage to sleep and rubbing his tail on the grate. I got him some new perches. Problem solved, he no longer slept down there.

At this time, he started molting. He developed a TON of pinfeathers all around his lower back, all around his tail, and they just kept coming. I've seriously never seen so many pinfeathers in one spot on a bird, he looked miserable. He developed even more pinfeathers all over his head and neck. Those went away and he looks fine in those spots, but he's still molting around his tail. His tail feathers that rubbed against the grate haven't fallen out, and those are the feathers he SHOULD be molting.

I've looked online and I can't find any pattern of baldness like this. Giardia seems to have a pattern under the wings and the top of the back. Neurotic feather plucking tends to start around the neck and chest. One thing I saw that seemed plausible was a suggestion that feather plucking in that spot could be due to a bad wing-trim job from the clipped feathers rubbing in the wrong places.

Any other ideas? I'm going to make an appointment for him on Monday, either way. Just thought someone might have experience with this.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice