Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Strange eating habits

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Abster21, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Abster21

Abster21 PetForums Junior

Hi, one of my cats is very fussy over her food and generally gets put off eating by her brother - so we feed her in a separate room now and have been looking through Hobbs' fantastic food list!

My question is when she eats, she'll normally have a mouthful or two, then start scraping the floor around the bowl (as if she's in the litter tray and trying to cover up the food!). This happens no matter where I put the bowl, any ideas why she does this?

2. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Merson also does this!!

I don't know why but I am convinced he was a dog in a former life! He has done it from the day I got him.

Many times he has a good scoff and then just wanders off and others he does exactly the same - a few mouthfuls followed by the 'burying' technique.

He also has a seperate eating location from Oscar although they always end up eating from each others bowls!

So anyone with the answer to this, I'd like to know too please. :D

3. Chez87

Chez87 PetForums VIP

Some cats do it when they don't like the food. Others just bury it as that's what they would do in the wild, bury it so they can come back for it later!

4. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Well, I know Merson doesn't have a problem with the food....

I did think about the 'coming back to it later' thing as it is not dissimilar to a dog burying a bone...

Although, if he starts 'burying' it under the rugs and carpet there will be trouble!!!! :nono:

5. Gem16

Gem16 PetForums VIP

My Female cat always buries her food, sometimes it is when she doesn't like it but other times she will eat the majority and bury the rest lol, maybe saving for later.
    But perhaps you could try something abit different or more tasty?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice