Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Strange behaviour

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Paul Walters, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Paul Walters

Paul Walters PetForums Newbie

Good afternoon all,

I have a 13 month old labradoodle who is exhibiting some rather strange behaviour that both my fiancé and I have never come across in all our years of owning dogs.
    if either of us go to touch his dog flap he gets rather excited/agitated, not sure how to describe it, he rushes towards the flap/your hand and then when you pull your hand away he jumps up at us, in a nice way, almost if he’s saying ‘thanks, please don’t do that’. Dare I say it if we persisted touching the flap he could get rather aggressive and potentially snap at us.
    We have no idea why he’s like this but we are very curious to know why.
    Has anybody experienced anything like this?
    look forward to see people’s thoughts/experiences.

Thank you
    Paul

2. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

It sounds like he might be resource guarding it easily solved though do stop touching it. Hopefully someone more experienced with resource guarding can help.

3. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Do you really need to have a flap? If it's big enough for a labradoodle to get out, it's big enough for a burglar to get in (and for your insurance to dispute any break-in claim on the basis that the house wasn't secured). I'd do away with it, and cover the hole with a sheet of plywood on either side, paint it to match the door; sorted.
    Otherwise, I'd touch the flap and chuck a piece of chicken (or other highly desirable treat) AWAY from yourself and the flap, and make a game of it until dog was eagerly awaiting you touching the flap.

Torin., JoanneF, Linda Weasel and 2 others like this.
  4. Paul Walters

wow DIY and Insurance advise I thought this was a pet forum FYI if anybody can fit through the flap I’d be amazed and even if they stuck their hand through its likely to get ripped off by the dog that lives next to it!!!

5. Paul Walters

O ‘resource guarding’ not heard of that before. I’m off to do some research, thanks for that.

6. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Wow, how to make yourself popular when you join a new forum.

I must say I did wonder why you want a dog flap. Not something I have any experience of but also not something I would like to use as I prefer to know which side of the door my dogs are on. I hope you were joking about someone getting their hand ripped off. Not sure that would be the greatest idea.
    You were also given some good training advice if you do want to stick with the dog flap for some reason we obviously do not understand.

7. Dog-dogs

Dog-dogs PetForums Member

Skip to 1 minutes 25 seconds:

Skip to 3 minutes 40 seconds:

Blitz, Happy Paws2, Sarah H and 2 others like this.
  8. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Lots of people have dog flaps, myself included. My dogs are in & out of it & …. they are actually in the garden UNSUPERVISED!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::D:D:D My dogs are GSD's the space is quite large but I wouldn't fancy anyone's chances of getting in unscathed!!

9. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

Tbf, the poster was just looking for an explanation as to why his dog might be behaving in this way, and has mainly got a lot of unasked for advice about home security!

OP i have no idea why your dog might be behaving like this but maybe the answer about resource guarding might shed some light

Paul Walters likes this.
  10. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

What about when you take them out for a walk?
    My dogs have access to the garden most of the time other than in the depths of winter, I leave the back door open. I don't supervise them, I'm doing other stuff.

11. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Then I put the cover on … tbh if people are going to break in then they will break in. The benefits of having a dog fap far out weigh the risks for me. My dogs are always in & out of the garden & no way am I constantly getting up to let them in/out all day.

12. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

When I was working in the office or on site I would be away from home for 8hrs so they needed to have access to the garden for toilet breaks & it's nice for them to be outside. Not everyone's choice but where I live is rural, my garden is fully enclosed & secluded so for me it works well.

Burrowzig likes this.
  13. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

True, but the advice was sound and well intentioned so there was no need for the sarcasm imo.

Responses and advice on forums aren’t solely for the benefit of the person posting the question but also for anyone else surfing for information and advice themselves on the subject.

I’m getting to the point where I hold off responding to newbies until I see how they react to responses from others tbh.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice