Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

strange behaviour

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by barbara buckman, Apr 29, 2017.

1. barbara buckman

barbara buckman PetForums Newbie

When taking my 12 year old Jack Russell for a walk, she wants to return to the car after a few minutes In fact the first time it happened she ran all the way back half way round a walk. I now have to put her on a lead to get her round She shakes and doesn't want to go on Any thoughts?

2. Darkangelwitch

Darkangelwitch Princess Shona

She sounds fearful, has anything happened there? Loud noise etc that may have scared her?

Maybe try taking her somewhere else and see if she reacts the same way.

Hopefully some others may have some ideas.

3. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

Sounds like something frightened her ...like a gunshot or even a scary scent. As Darkangelwitch says, maybe try a different walk or two and see how she reacts then.

At 12 years old her senses may be reducing a little ...sight/hearing ...so things that didn't frighten her before may frighten her now.

I once had a dog who refused to walk down a path after she had come across some fresh animal poo once ....I have no idea why she got so obsessed but something put the wind up her. She did get over it. Eventually lol

Obviously if it is sudden then getting her looked at by the Vet is always a good idea ...in case there is pain or discomfort involved.

J

4. barbara buckman

Yes there were some bird frightening gunshots Will try other walks Thanks

Darkangelwitch likes this.
  5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Given her age first port of call would be to get her a vet check including orthopaedic exam, especially if she hasn't had one for a good while just to make sure that there isn't any medical reason like pain or discomfort or any other medical changes going on why she may not want to go out or walk.

If she has had a vet check, then has she encountered anything unusual or something that could have frightened her on a walk or while out which seemed to co-incided with the behaviour starting? Sometimes if dogs get frightened badly enough even though it may have been a one off and no longer exsists they can still associate a place or situation with that fear, so it becomes more like a phobia, and just the thought of or being put in the situation again can be enough to induce fear and panic afterwards.

6. barbara buckman

Thank you for that info Yes their was some bangs these intermittent bird scarers And I think you are right she now associates that place with fear Such a shame best walk in area Have walked her In different area and she is fine

Sled dog hotel likes this.
  7. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

If she is fine elsewhere then yes sounds like what has happened she associates the place with the fear. The main thing now is to get her relaxed and excited about walks again, so I would avoid the area at the moment, and then given time maybe try again after a good break. Sometimes as dogs age noises and things start to bother them where as earlier on in life they are fine and show no fear, my dad had a dobermann and when she got to older age she started to become noise sensitive too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice