UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10 month old jack russell cross whippet and my friend has a 6 month old gsh cross rottie. Although my dog is the smallest she will put the bigger dog in its place when the playing goes on too long or gets too rough. He is more than twice her size. However he always seems to want to put as much of her head in his mouth as he can, muzzle first right up to her eyes. It makes me cringe cause of his puppy needle like teeth and her delicate eyes so I try to distract them. The strange thing is that she almost encourages it. She will sometimes almost put her head in his mouth herself. Anyone have any ideas why this is?

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Sounds like normal doggy rough play to me. It might look scary, but it's just the way they do things. Don't let it get too silly though and separate them for a bit if they start getting too silly and one of them looks to be in distress or has red marks from biting. But, my dog does this all the time with his friends. He's friendly and so are his friends, but they all like to play rough and encourage each other to mess around and prevoke the other dog to bite at them. Doesn't surprise me that your little dog puts the big one in it's place. Little dogs tend to have more 'balls' than bigger ones and may be a small package but tend to make bigger dogs aware that they wont be messed with. Also your dog has some terrier in it, and terriers are naturally bolshy and fearless little things! I've often heard terriers being referred to as 'terrorists' by their owners :)

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
I have a 10 month old jack russell cross whippet and my friend has a 6 month old gsh cross rottie. Although my dog is the smallest she will put the bigger dog in its place when the playing goes on too long or gets too rough. He is more than twice her size. However he always seems to want to put as much of her head in his mouth as he can, muzzle first right up to her eyes. It makes me cringe cause of his puppy needle like teeth and her delicate eyes so I try to distract them. The strange thing is that she almost encourages it. She will sometimes almost put her head in his mouth herself. Anyone have any ideas why this is?
Its just play some breeds just play rougher then others, my breeds do the same and drag each other about by loose skin and pin each other down put their mouths round each others heads and body parts too, it does look quite alarming.

You said she tells him off when he has had enough? If he stops when he is told enough, she isnt bothered by it in the slightest and in fact encourages it then obviously shes unbothered and not frightened.

The only thing I would say though is supervised play only and if it does get too rough or he doesnt stop when shes told him enough any time, then step in and call a halt, purely because in this instance of the weight and size difference especially as he grows, because if it does go over the top she could get hurt by accident. Now mine are equal size now its not a worry, but when I had an adult and a pup, I monitored the time and how rough it was getting in case it got too much and the smaller pup got hurt.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We never leave them unsupervised. I'm too worried about the size difference to do that. it only shocked me cause I've never seen it before and I've always had dogs. I've seen the pinning and neck biting but never head eating. It shocks me that she allows it since it looks so submissive. She is a feisty little thing. Before I rescued her I had a rottie and a gsh yet she is the bravest despite her bad start. I am totally and utterly besotted. Had thought about not getting another dog after the other two had to be pts cause of old age but so pleased I did. thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
A much smaller dog that mine plays with puts his whole head in Kilo's mouth too and pretty much cleans his teeth whilst mine stands still :eek:. Then he takes his head out and they carry on playing!

ETA: Kilo opens his mouth as wide as possible when the little dog starts to sniff round it!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.