Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Strange behaviour - Worried

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by kenzy, Mar 28, 2011.

1. kenzy

kenzy PetForums Newbie

Hi all, only just come accross this site and wondered if anyone can help. I have a 19 month old Shih Tzu and last night just before retiring to bed he started growling for no apparent reason. We let him outside where he started to eat grass but like a gremlin possessed, literally. For the next five hours he paced up and down constantly, growling, licking the wall, outside attacking the grass, then back in snapping and growling if you went near him. He seemed like a completely different dog almost as though he was possessed. He is usually such a mild mannered dog. He has been sleeping most of the day and very quiet now. He was sick about an hour ago. He has quite a sensitive stomach, so this isnt too unusual. This is yhe second time this has happened. First time was about three to four months ago. I'm confused and worried. Can anyone help?:confused:

2. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Have you been to your vet? Obviously something isn't right and it sounds like a thorough medical check is in order.

3. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

I agree. Take him to the vet.

Eating grass is sometimes a sign of the dog not feeling very well, and from your description he was obviously very agitated.

Better safe than sorry I always say.

4. keirk

keirk PetForums Member

vet vet vet!

5. celicababe1986

celicababe1986 PetForums VIP

Echo the above advice!!
    please keep us updated with how you get on, and good luck!!

6. Rottiefan

Rottiefan PetForums VIP

Definitely take to the vet.

7. codyann

codyann PetForums Senior

yeah i agree the vet is in order just to get a check up, eating grass is normally a sign that they dont feel to well, let us know how you get on.

8. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

I can only repeat when everyone else's has posted - he needs medical attention. Eating grass is a sign of dog being unwell, growling at you probably means he is in pain. Let us know what the vet has to say, please.

9. Allie

Allie PetForums Newbie

I agree with everyone else. My dog eats grass when she has an upset tummy, and when she's in pain, she will growl at me, even though she's very sweet and well-tempered otherwise. Go see the vet as soon as possible, your dog needs medical attention.

10. kenzy

kenzy PetForums Newbie

Thankyou all for your replies.

I did take him to the vet and surprisingly ( or not ) he didn't seem too concerned. He said that the episodes could have been some kind of seizure and to keep an eye on things, see if we can pinpoint what the trigger is if it happens again. He said that there is medication he can take but didn't want to start him on it unless the seizures were becoming very frequent or daily.

Strikes me that because the episode wasn't witnessed by the vet, he finds it hard to diagnose.

Alfie has been fine since, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Dont you just hate it when theres something wrong with our furry friends and they just cant tell us what !

#10 kenzy, Apr 13, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  11. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Thanks for updating us and fingers crossed it was a 'one off' episode.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice