Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Strange Aggression

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Marguerite Alley, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Marguerite Alley

Marguerite Alley PetForums Newbie

i have an 11yr old peek-a-poo. Toby has been with us since 8 weeks of age. He has in the past 4 years developed a strange aggressive streak. If the cat coughs, Toby lunges as if to attack. If a younger dog (we have 3) approaches me, he lunges aggressively at them. I have returned to our old obedience days providing a special “place” for him and keeping him clipped on leash to protect the cat and other 2 dogs but want to understand what he is thinking or reacting to. Any ideas?

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

At his age, he could be losing his sight or hearing or could be suffering from some level of canine dementia. He could be in discomfort from something such as arthritis, which could make him short tempered.

I would have him thoroughly examined by your Vet.

leashedForLife, mrs phas and Cleo38 like this.
  3. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

I agree, animals can become very defensive when in pain or discomfort and defensiveness often comes out as attacking others to tell them to keep away. Like many animals dogs can be masters at disguising pain or discomfort as revealing these makes them (or their wild counterparts from whom they have inherited the tendency) to become more vulnerable to being predated. Given your dogs age and behaviour I agree a trip to the vet is the first thing. If you haven't done so recently a senior check up and senior blood profile is a good idea anyway but also ask them to check potential painful areas like arthritis, teeth etc.

leashedForLife and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. leashedForLife

any dog of 7-YO or older should be seen by a vet every 6-mos, not annually, as before - they are now "seniors", & need more frequent wellness checks. :)

Pain will definitely make a pet more irritable, & sensory loss makes them startle easily. If s/he's losing eyesight or is hard of hearing, s/he'll snap when someone "suddenly" moves nearby or seems to "arrive" in their personal space without warning.

- terry

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice