Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Story of rejection from a rescue centre!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Bukhara, Mar 19, 2021.

1. Bukhara

Bukhara PetForums Junior

Not much more that needs to be said about the messages!

I understand rescues want to ensure a dog is rehomed permanently. I found dealing with those local to me were nigh on impossible once they realised I had one dog already. I never wanted a 2nd puppy and all that entailed, but I ended up with no choice!

https://twitter.com/AliceJaneGray/status/1372249568738414594?s=19

2. Bukhara

Bukhara PetForums Junior

3. Blacky90

Blacky90 PetForums Junior

What type of dog was it?

4. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I don't understand what was appalling about the rescue's response?

adamantis and kimthecat like this.
  5. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

Those replies are very standoffish and dont at all come across even remotely friendly.

I understand that rescues have been inundated and have had many more enquiries than they usually would have pre pandemic but I'd prefer to have no reply than a rude reply if they dont think I'm suitable.

Arny, Calvine, Lurcherlad and 3 others like this.
  6. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

That's a very rude response. If they don't think you are suitable that's fine, but there are ways to respond to people and that isn't it!

7. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Rescues are damned if they do, damned if they don't.
    An acquaintance once asked me to serve as a reference for a rescue. One of the questions was did they have dogs before and what happened to them. I happened to know that her last two dogs were hit by cars. They have a fenced yard but are not good about keeping the gate shut.
    The rescue denied them but was very polite about it and gave them some soft story about not having any suitable dogs or something.
    I get that they (the rescue) was trying to be nice and not be blunt about it. Had they been blunt and said, you obviously can't keep dogs from getting killed by traffic we're not giving you one of our dogs, there would have been flack there too.

Another acquaintance rescued a dog from a local group. Despite specific instructions not to, they took her on a walk first day, let her of-leash, and lost her. Because she was chipped to the rescue, the rescue ended up getting the call to collect her which they did and then returned her to her newly adopted family. Not a week later, they lost her again - off leash again, and again the dog was returned to the rescue. This time they didn't give her back. The acquaintance was furious and posted all over social media about how awful this rescue was and how they think they know better than she does what's good for "her" dog (that she's had a week and lost twice) blah blah.

Was that the nicest reply from the rescue? No.
    Was there probably way more to the story? Very likely.

8. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

How old is this puppy? If it's very young then their response is a bit silly, but if it's older then it's not unreasonable for them to say the dog wouldn't enjoy those activities if they know her character well.

Yes it was a bit abrupt and they could have worded it nicer and I'd probably feel a bit miffed by their response too. But as humans we sometimes have bad days or there are things happening that mean we don't deal with something as well as we could.

I'd try not to get too worked up over it.

9. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

A bit abrupt but I expect they were very busy and had to reply to lots of other people perhaps. What breed is the pup.?

Its up to the rescue. having seen adopted pets return to the RSPCA , I understand their caution.

A dog is for life not just for lockdown.

10. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

If those are all the messages, then I think yes a bit abrupt and rude.
    I think the rescue could have suggested a dog more suitable to your lifestyle, if they did not think this puppy would be a good fit.
    But yes, the demand for dogs and cats is crazy at the moment but no need to be flippant to people who would like to adopt.

11. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

The response was definitely rude and abrupt. However I have a feeling this may have been a worked on the end of their tether. The enquiry makes no mention of what they can offer except working from home (will this change probably or we have lots of people asking why puppy won’t entertain themselves whilst they work) The rest of the enquire is I want a dog as company....I want cuddles.

.Does that make sense ? Whenever I’ve applied and been rejected by a rescue I’ve put details about working hours, garden size, fence, experience of breed. (Still always been rejected on my work hours)

12. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Try
    Try Many Tears rescue. A lot of the dogs they take are ex-breeders, and for many of them, it's stipulated that they should live with another dog - one who can show them the ropes of living in a household rather than a barn.

kimthecat, Lurcherlad, margy and 2 others like this.
  13. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I know most rescues don't have an easy job & take a lot of stick but I do question some of them & their consideration for the dogs they rehome. I still remember Paisley (the GSD) & how the rescue who had her were so against her going back to her breeder or to a GSD experienced home. I have no idea why they were so cagey about their dogs & their 'rehabilitation' process, etc .... I honestly think some people involved in this it is all abut ego's rather than the animals welfare

14. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

That was a story and a half wasn’t it.

Gemmaa and Cleo38 like this.
  15. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Absolutely: suggested another dog/puppy or told her they would be happy to put her on a waiting list
    or send her an application form. Her messages to them were very polite and carefully written and she deserved much better in return. I remember many years ago a friend of mine contacting the Mayhew and was really appalled at their attitude. She ended up buying one privately.

#15 Calvine, Mar 20, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
    Summercat, Sarah H and LinznMilly like this.
  16. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

It really was. I was in touch with the rescue with a view to going to see her but they looked at my FB page (I think as something was mentioned in an email) & saw that I was FB friends with lots of GSD sports people then refused to speak to me ... very odd

17. Smalldogs

Smalldogs PetForums Member

Completely sympathise with picky rescues - they must see too much of the dark side of thoughtless dog ownership - but wonder if it has gone too far. After years of having rescue dogs, my last three dogs have been bought from breeders after being turned down by rescues on the knee-jerk line of "all your current dogs must be neutered". (I have never castrated males unless there is a genuine medical or behavioural reason, and refused to have resident elderly males neutered. And in half a century none of my entire males has worried about sex and certainly not sired a litter.) I look back to the past, when rescues would check us out, find a dog to suit us, and we all lived happily ever after - one rescue, a year after providing us with a wonderful companion for our first dog, sought us out and told us we needed a third dog and here he was - we didn't know we needed a third dog, but they were so right!

kimthecat, Lurcherlad and Calvine like this.
  18. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

That is odd. Do you know what has happened since?

19. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

That was ridiculous :( And I wonder to this day if Paisley is okay :(

Rescues are on a spectrum of terrible to excellent just like breeders are.
    I wouldn't judge one rescue on one screenshot response without context any more than I would judge a breeder for being sharp-ish with a potential puppy buyer who's asking all sorts of questions right when they're about to go in the ring (that has happened on more than one occasion).
    For all we know that person is on a do not adopt list or the rescue had already said no in more polite ways.

And posting a response all over social media, again without context, is pretty uncool too IMO.

20. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

No, someone I know arranged for Steve Mann from IMDT to go & assess her (this was years ago) & from what he said she was just a very OTT young, boisterous GSD with no boundaries. But considering she had been in their care for months at this time I would have expected them to have done some sort of training with her ..... I just found it odd how the closed down when anyone tried to help

kimthecat, Torin., LinznMilly and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice