Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Story of "broken Britain"

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Nicky10, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Gangs of children thugs robbing old people, teen girl forced into prostitution, young male thug with a status dog as a weapon, child coming out of care straight into crime. All of this in London of course

None of this has ever happened before right? It's all some symptom of this awful new "broken Britain". Funnily enough this is all from Oliver Twist which was published in 1838. So how is this all new just because of this evil new generation and would never happen in my day?

2. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

Good point made, nothing much changes, always been good and bad sorts :001_unsure:

3. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

In those days they stole and whored or faced starvation...Nowadays they do it because they're bloody idle.

4. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

Also you would like to think that society is meant to "progress" ;)

You look at technological advancements yet socially we aren't moving at the same rate. Just think where we could be as a society if we put as much money and effort into fixing what is broken as we have ploughed into computer technology alone :blink:

5. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

This thread isn't meant ot be as random as it seems just reading the book and realising that so much of it is what my somehow broken evil generation is meant to be doing. While older generations look on saying it wasn't like that in my day. Granted no on is alive today that lived in 1838 but no generation has ever been without it's bad people

6. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

Another fact about history is people generally view it through rose tinted specs ;)

7. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Definitely. No children ever talked back in my day. Then why did you have to punish them for it? No teen/young adult thugs? So the mods and rockers didn't form gangs and beat each other up them

8. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Yes there has always been good and bad i agree with that but what i think the big difference is now or what i see is the unfairness now, years ago if you did wrong there were consequences, jails were a punishment, real punishment,now to some its the better life, if you worked then you had the better life or the most money, thats not the case today.

9. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

Long live Victorian values! ;)

10. Spellweaver

Spellweaver PetForums VIP

heh heh - half way through your first paragraph I was thinking, "Crikey, she's talking about Britain today but this could be Oliver Twist," and was all set to post to say so ...... good job I read your second paragraph before I did :p

Yep - way back in the 80's when Thatcher used say she was going to return Britain to "Good old Victorian values" I used to wonder how people could be so naive to think that there was anything good about those sorts of values. And now look what's happening - Thatcher Mark 2 (or CameronClegg as the monster is also known) is finishing off the job she started.

11. skyblue

skyblue PetForums VIP

the mods and rockers beat each other up,not old ladies

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice